A Little Spalding History

ZACH '96 :

Also CVF, If you didnt know your 2yo 7/8 + cockbird was a spalding, how would you distinguish him from a pure java?? I was thinking maybe ehis nech looks a little thick, and overall a bit stockier than the pure breens i have seen in pictures and videos...

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

This is how so called breeders get in trouble they don't keep good records or just don't care, once they get real high % birds it is really hard to tell them apart this is why there has been Soooo many Green Spaldings sold as Pure Javas. OK, I'm going to get on my high horse for a sec. Lets say your a breeder that don't care and all you want is to make $$$$$ on your birds, OK, lets say you have a High % Spalding about $100.00 to $175.00 if he calls it a Spalding now wait if he calls it a Java Green or a Java and sells it to someone that don't know now he has a $300.00 to $500.00 bird so you buy a Spalding but pay for the Java name and this Vicious Cycle goes on and on.

But back to what we were talking about, I have had Spaldings and Pure Javas in grow out pens couldn't tell them apart had to catch and look at the wingband ##'s to see what they were.

A word from the wise if you are planing on buying any of the 3 Muticus type birds make sure they are from a trusted breeder.

Last edited:
Hey CVF,

Yes and thye cycle continues as the unsuspecting buyer will sell the offspring on as pure java...

Im not sure where you heard that, but i see no reason why we should not be able to breed spalding whites, but, i dont really see the point of white spalding, and although they are nice to look at, its disapointing that the beautiful green colours are lost... i much prefer the pied spalding, yours look really nice btw
big_smile.png

Now im not going to speak for all of Australia when i say this, but im not sure there are many PURE muticus left... well, i havnt seen any anyway...

Is it true that if you bred a 3/4 spalding to a 3/4 spalding, some of the babies will 'take' more green blood, and some will lean more towards the blue side??

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

Hey Zach,
If you breed 3/4 to 3/4 you will only get 3/4 some will just pull more Green then others. I hatched some 1/2 spaldings one of the males looked India Blue and the other Green in color but both were still only 1/2.

Last edited:
ZACH '96 :

Hey CVF,

Yes and thye cycle continues as the unsuspecting buyer will sell the offspring on as pure java...

Im not sure where you heard that, but i see no reason why we should not be able to breed spalding whites, but, i dont really see the point of white spalding, and although they are nice to look at, its disapointing that the beautiful green colours are lost... i much prefer the pied spalding, yours look really nice btw
big_smile.png

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

Same thing has been said about the white(blues)...just a different like for different people, to each their own .​

Quote:
Sorry misunderstanding, I know they will not get higher percentage green (you would have to cross them to a Java for that), its my fault i worded it wrong, i meant that some of the chicks will look more like javas and some will look more blue?

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

You will find with spalding and %........so many mistakes of what a % ARE simple math with fractions.....big mix up when breeding like a 1/2 to 3/4 and etc. then 5/8 x 3/4 so you can see when breeding spalding , without great record...........lot of spalding being sold with out known %.

On paper that looks like what happens, but bet if a DNA could be done ,thats would not show true. In one hatch of say 3/4 x 3/4 some chicks will take more genes from the green, and other more genes from the blue, reason chicks can look different in the same hatch.

Now to be fair , all we can do to track % is 3/4 x 3/4 = 3/4......but if all chicks were true genetic 3/4 then all would look alike.

Steve even had if i remember, one that was a 5/8 bird but to looks at, if most people would guess it to be a 3/4 or higher(which i guess on a old thread)

Quote:
Yeah, I always laughed at the percent thing because it really means nothing, if you were breeding two 1/2 spaldings together you could in theory get a pure green or pure blue bird, the chances are astronomically low but it is theoretically possible. When the offspring are getting half of there DNA from each parent you do not know which half they are getting. The fraction really only represents the most likely percentage of green, it could be higher or lower.

Quote:
Yeah, I always laughed at the percent thing because it really means nothing, if you were breeding two 1/2 spaldings together you could in theory get a
pure green or pure blue

bird, the chances are astronomically low but it is theoretically possible. When the offspring are getting half of there DNA from each parent you do not know which half they are getting. The fraction really only represents the most likely percentage of green, it could be higher or lower.​

They will NEVER be PURE Green or Blue again they will now become Spaldings, but some will lean more oneway or the other. When some folks say Pure Green others think Pure Muticus type birds and here we go again selling Spaldings as Pures.

Back
Top Bottom