a little story of my first broody hen experience (pics)

Loved the pictures! What a pretty flock you have.

Thanks! I'll have a whole lot prettier flock here in a couple months! ...and an even better, healthier one as time goes, I hope....
big_smile.png

Well I candled last night and out of 12 eggs there was 5 bad eggs I wish I would have candled a few more times I would have caught them sooner. Just a couple more days.

Sorry to hear about the bad ones! Glad that you still have good ones though. Seems like time has gone fast to me, but I don't know about in your shoes....time seemed slow waiting for my broody to me...
big_smile.png

I'm preparing everything for all the new chicks I'm getting here in a few weeks!

I'm having a hard time finding a small fan I need for the home-made incubator project this time of year up here. ...might have to order one.

Sorry to hear about the bad ones! Glad that you still have good ones though. Seems like time has gone fast to me, but I don't know about in your shoes....time seemed slow waiting for my broody to me...
big_smile.png

I'm preparing everything for all the new chicks I'm getting here in a few weeks!

I'm having a hard time finding a small fan I need for the home-made incubator project this time of year up here. ...might have to order one.

How big is your incubator mine is an old bathroom counter we took the top and the sink out and put a board on the back and top and put a desk fan in there at the bottom that we let rotate and blow on low but there is 3 shelves at the top and the light and fan at the bottom and we found that fan at the dollar store. I hope you get everything you need I love doing DIY stuff.

As for the hen I am so antsy I can't sleep I can tell you how many times i checks on them last night and the day before and this morning before I went to work. I can't wait.

How big is your incubator mine is an old bathroom counter we took the top and the sink out and put a board on the back and top and put a desk fan in there at the bottom that we let rotate and blow on low but there is 3 shelves at the top and the light and fan at the bottom and we found that fan at the dollar store. I hope you get everything you need I love doing DIY stuff.

As for the hen I am so antsy I can't sleep I can tell you how many times i checks on them last night and the day before and this morning before I went to work. I can't wait.

I'm going to try my hand at turning this here mini frig into one. I have all I need I think except a small fan...I just have the big box fans. So far every dollar store and other places, just have little soft battery operated fans and say they won't have any of what I'm looking for until it gets warmer. Oh I need a temperature/humidity deal also I guess. I'm excited to see if I can hatch anything! I'd like to then try and make one like how you described yours is and so on...just play around and learn.

I still remember seeing that first chick pop it's head out from under my hen!!! It was great!

I'm going to try my hand at turning this here mini frig into one. I have all I need I think except a small fan...I just have the big box fans. So far every dollar store and other places, just have little soft battery operated fans and say they won't have any of what I'm looking for until it gets warmer. Oh I need a temperature/humidity deal also I guess. I'm excited to see if I can hatch anything! I'd like to then try and make one like how you described yours is and so on...just play around and learn.

I still remember seeing that first chick pop it's head out from under my hen!!! It was great!

I put thin towels on these racks and set eggs on them. Each rack hold close to 5 dozen eggs well duck eggs, it hold 5 dozen chicken eggs, and about 100 to 120 quail eggs. I got the idea off this website. The doors had glass in them which I didn't think would hold the heat so I put a piece of glass in the board I placed on top. You can also see that I am using a desk lamp with a 65 watt light bulb and a small desk fan. This is just things I had laying around my garage. I am thinking about investing in a small stirafoam incubator just for quail eggs because the quail don't like staying on these shelves but they are close enough to keep chickens and ducks on them until I take them off and put them in the brooder. Good luck with the mini fridge. I hope you get it working. I think building it yourself just makes it so much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the pictures and info!!! I appreciate it! I'll enjoy playing with it getting everything right!

I better make it safe for when the chicks hatch, huh? I was going to put a wire shelf in it for putting the eggs on....probably needs to be safe for chicks not falling off.

I'm about done on a wood sign I'm doing and then I'll start in on it.

Back
Top Bottom