A little too loud and proud

CourageousChic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Sarasota
One of our pullets started laying yesterday, which is fabulous, BUT she is really proud/freaked out by this. She cackles, very loudly, for upwards of an hour for each egg so far (there have been two). To get an idea of the volume, our neighborhood kids were riding dirt bikes (sound like chainsaws) in the street, and she was loud enough that they stopped the bikes to look and see what the weird bird noise was. These are supposed to be undercover suburb chickens, and I'm scared she'll blow our cover. So far we've been bringing her inside until it's out of her system, but surely that won't be practical when all four start laying. Will it always be this much noise? I never remember our New Hampshire Reds or Cochins making this much racket. She's a Buff Orphington, the other three are another Buff, a Wyandotte and a Maran. Thoughts, Ideas, Advice?

Thanks so much!

~Kate

Mine were like that in weeks 16 and 17, I think they were stunned by their success. They do get better, restricting thri victory calls to the hours of laying, which for me is 8:30 am until about 10. But a chicken is a chicken, and unless you can soundproof the nesting area, your cover may be blown!

Same thing over here!! Ours are supposed to be incognito as well. Our girls just started laying this past week and they were more than LOUD!!! It went on for more than an hour. Nothing would quiet them. I had my kids keep taking out treats to try to shush them! I have to say that things have quieted down now that they have a few eggs under their belts.

blown cover that would be bad!

we have barred rocks, black sex links and red sex links. the barred rocks are the noiset of the three. you really dont hear a peep out of the others most of the time. some times they make some noise but not like the barred rocks.

best of luck!

wendy

She'll settle down after a few days. I had a pullet that made a huge fuss over her first few eggs. Now she bawks for a minute or so, then quits. Be patient, they don't keep it up for long.

I had to read this thread because I thought you were talking about me.
wink.png
lol.png

My hens do the same thing, too! They're really noisy, especially in the morning, but stops after a minute. Whenever we hear their loud cackles and clucks, we rush to the nestbox to find several moist eggs.

Mine are obnoxious before and after they lay. The whole island can hear them. I'm undercover too so I know it gets stressful. Lately I've just been leaving the house about the time they lay. I'm all into the denial thing so it works for me. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom