A&M quail sexing still a no go...

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Ive tried... been beer sexing for a few weeks.... i tried separating on the cricket chirp females do... but it startes looking like i have all females so it cant be right... i hope i have a few males.. not a single bird out of the 40 or so i have have crowed yet... they are 8 weeks old now... none of the males and emitting foam yet with my brown cots... so im sure i still need to give it a few more weeks... 10-12 weeks is where i find they start laying and getting mating fever usually... just thought id get a crow by now...

That is reason I stopped raising the A&M and started with brown. I got tired of staring at quail butts! It sounds like you'll need to wait another week or so. They aren't quite ready to vent sex yet.

Chicken-Farmer

I find that odd. At 3 weeks, I had several males that would crow for hours on end. I'd pull them out and mark them on their back with a sharpie, or put them into another cage.

Well, just be happy you don't have all males.
James

Oh i have them separated as much as i can... they are just happy birds... i had someone crow yeaterday evening right after i posted this... it was a very juvenile crow though... didnt see who it was andthey havent done it again when im out there... a little more time and they should start up

I have three and a half week old quails. One is crowing frequently. Does that mean that out of the five, I have one male? That'd be pretty cool! OR (which is my fear) is there just one crowing SO FAR?

With 5 birds I would EXPECT 3 males, that said, anything can happen. At only 3.5 weeks I expect you'll get more crowers.
Some may start as late as 5 weeks. Your mileage may vary.

let us know

This is how i Handled it

Id sit at the quail top open Scissors in hand and who ever crowed got Both Wings Trimmed

kept that up until i had 14 roos that really did help when it came time for the Grow out pen too

Back
Top Bottom