A&M quail sexing still a no go...

I have three and a half week old quails. One is crowing frequently. Does that mean that out of the five, I have one male? That'd be pretty cool! OR (which is my fear) is there just one crowing SO FAR?
I do understand your post now sniper, I was answering the above post...sorry bout the Xcom

When working with the White birds Sexing can be Difficult so I trim the wing feathers on all the Roos if i end up with too many roos Verses Hens i cull the extras keeping only the best .
it was so tough for me as i got my birds from JMF and they all had great boning the best conformation and Legs

but i had 9 hens and 17 roos so i culled the worst 12 keeping a couple Extra to watch

So Sniper, you starting to see why I only raise auto-sexing birds yet? Lol once they get to about 8-9 weeks they'll be full of vinegar and easier to tell apart, but I don't raise them too often anymore because it's too time consuming to sex them. Plus I have a bad habit (a tasty habit really) of eating any adult bird that slows me down, and more than once I've just eaten a large group of tuxedos or A&Ms because they were too much hassle to sex. The paradox for me is that A&Ms and tuxedo chicks sell better than most of the others, because people seem to be attracted to white as a color in animals.

i tryed browns and A&M . we chose the a&m cause the don't crow very often. The browns give me a head ache.

There is absolutely no difference in them genetically aside from color. You just happened to have a situation that encouraged excessive crowing or rowdy birds. A coturnix is a coturnix is a coturnix.
the a&m I have grow faster than the browns I had. I suspected it was because of the yellow genes the breeder had bred in. Both white and browns were kept together so I don't see how they were housed would have made a difference in the amount of crowing. I hope it doesn't any way. I would hate to have to get rid of my quails.

Last edited:
It's all in the genetics. The white birds you had were obviously bred for more size. They are exactly the same species just different colors, you can selectively breed for any trait such as color, size, egg laying ability or egg size, etc. I can breed any color larger or smaller to some extent. Currently the largest two colors are the jumbo pharaoh and A&M, but those are just that, different colors. If you choose all of the largest chicks from a hatch and breed them together, doing the same thing for a few generations and you will have a larger bird than you started with.

DC is absolutly right on this I have Browns and whites right now 4 weeks old and they are the same size

Maybe your birds crowed alot because they where out of food or water or even weather related too cold or too hot ,

My birds Tell me if something is wrong by crowing or even the hens sing really cool

My birds satrted crowing some... havent seen a a nd m crow yet though... a few of my browns started laying now.... no eggs from the whites though.... they are all the same age though from one hatch.... so i should be in the eggs and all very soon id guess... wont be long now... then ill be able to sex the a and m birds too... looks like whoever doesnt lay an egg will be a male lol... none of the birds crow very much.... lol. All are doing fine though... ill be able to sell some here soon and start collecting eggs in a few weeks to incubate again... im the only one around me ive found that has birds so im guessing i may have a small market for selling a few...

Back
Top Bottom