A&m Quail

deerman

Rest in Peace 1949-2012
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Southern Ohio
Any BYC members got any A&M quail, were the breeders weight 14 oz to 16 oz. Anyone found any with white meat??

Looking for pure A&M , want large white meat birds in coturnixs

Deerman I Dont Know If Any Such Thing Even Exists Anymore.... I Think The Limited Number Of A&m's That Got Released Have Interbred With English Whites And Other Coturnix Varieties So Much The Gene Pool Got Poluted Bubba.... I Hope I Am Wrong, But So Far I Havent Seen Any All White Meat Coturnix Yet
sad.png

I Have Heard All The Old Wives Tails About Them But Have Also Read That It Was Somewhat Of A Bogus Claim Used As A Marketing Ploy So I Dont Know. I Can Tell You This Any White Quail I Have "harvested" In The Past 7-8 Yrs Has Not Had White Meat...

I Did See 1 Outlandish Claim A Few Weeks Back But It Didnt Go Over Too Well. ( The 16 Pound Great White Quail...)

I Have Seen Jumbo White Birds. But When Cleaned And Cooked They Are All Dark Meat.

I Am Like You In That I Prefer The Bob Speces To Coturnix For Taste--- Have Ya Thought Of Butler Bob Whites? They Get Really Really Big.... And More Than A Few Folks Have 'em On Here...

I just listed an auction. I have bought all the A&M jumbos eggs that I could find and mostly was disapointed, but I have culled down to a flock of 14 ounce or more hens and 10 ounce roo. I can only provide 18-24 eggs at a time though. I have an auction on eggbid right now if you are interested user name Soozin44.

They are pure A&M all white meat ( at least the meat is much whiter than my pharaohs) and those that did not make the cut were processes and eaten the other night I must say even though they were 9-13ounces they were much bigger than my standards which I happened to have processed as well so I was able to make a good comparison side by side.

Last edited:
Really White Meat? Well I'll Be. I Must Be Gettin Plain Old English Whites--- Hard To Tell As Everybody Calls One By The Other's Name And Visa Versa.

Happy Chick How Often Do You Sell Eggs? I'd Like To Give 'em A Go!

I too think the "all white meat" must have been a marketing ploy but I don't know that for sure.
AHappychick, I guess the best way for us to know for sure would be to have you take pictures the next time you are eating one of your white meat birds--a side by side comparison of a dark one and white one would be great too.

Quote:
yep not a problem I have 2 left in the frige but have to see what they are, could be pharoah left not sure. But I will be processing again for sure in 2 more weeks so if I cant do in later today i will do it then.

I will post back here with pics when I do it.
smile.png

I've process 20 of my A&M's this summer. Haven't seen a all white meat yet (nor do I really think there is enough meat to justify me processing any unless someone locally wants to pay me for my time)

With that being said, I tried to take the biggest, whitest, layingest, etcest and hatch 20 eggs this last summer. I must say that the 14 that survived the hatch are bigger and healthier than the parents were. I have gotten rid of the alot of the parent stock this past week but the 14 are now divided up in to 1 roo, 3 hens. We'll have to see what the next generation brings!

CHRIS IF THE A&M THING IS TRUE AND THEY REALLY ARE WHITE MEAT THEN YOU HAVE ENGLISH WHITES... WHICH LOTSA FOLK INCORRECTLY REFER TO AS A&m... OH GOD, I'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE NIKI AND IRONSUN>>>>

Back
Top Bottom