A misguided buy :/

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
For our first three chicks we decided to buy the following coop http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Saltbox-Coop-with-Run-3-4-chickens-p697.aspx

Picture
provided by website:

Saltbox1lg.jpg

I dont know if i am being over observent, but on the door of the coop shown there are 9 rectangular pieces
EXP:
Saltbox6lg.jpg

On the coop we recieved, the door only has 7 rectangular pieces. EXP:

99368_dsc01334.jpg

ALSO, the back panel of the coop on the website showed a solid panel. EXP:
SaltboxBacklg.jpg

On the coop received, the back panel is wire. EXP:

99368_dsc01335.jpg

It also states that the coop is designed for 4 LF chickens, or 6 bantam chickens. BUT the interior dimensions of the coop where they sleep at night is only 2'* 2' 5". That is about 1sq foot of sleeping space per bird. And the two roosts provided take up all the floor space. They provide 4'ft of roost space and virtually no floor space. You get two nest boxes (which is nice) but because of the lack of floor space, they sleep in the nests not the 'living area' because there really is no living area. I don't see how or why My pet chicken would sell a coop with such misguided information.

Am i being overly critical? Should i be keeping the sleeping area door open to the attached run at night? That would make no sense.?

Right now, our 3 9 week old chicks seem to be fairing relativly well now... but what happens when they are full grown and they only have 1 sqft of coop space?
barnie.gif

I wish i had joined this website before we had bought the coop. *sigh*

What do you guys think? Will they be all right?

The girls do enjoy their 10*10 ft additional run though!

99368_dsc01322.jpg

Last edited:
No, it isn't going to be even close to big enough.
sad.png
Close quarters like that can result in them picking on each other and the litter will fill up so fast it won't be very healthy for them. If they're sleeping in the nests, you'll be getting poopy eggs.

I don't know why they sell those. I am sure they take the description from the manufacturer but they need to know what they're selling.

EXACTLY! And, since my parents bought the coop there is no way i can convince them of buying a bigger one
hmm.png
Each of our hens has 20sq feet in the run... i might just have to keep the coop open to the attached 'mini' run in the summer and fall. *huh* they really are targeting people who don't know anything.

"Be roomy: at least 4 square feet per bird if birds are able to roam freely during the day, and at least 10 square feet per bird if they are permanently confined." How could they be such hypocrites? I might just send a letter of complaint.

Last edited:
Quote:
They are indeed giving the appearance of fraudulent advertising, and it's YOUR family's money and satisfaction that are at stake here. Don't let the time that's gone by since you got your order deter you.

From their website: "Please contact [email protected], or call 888-460-1529."

If you are gifted with the written word, compose your letter of complaint and state what you expect in return -- e.g., return shipping paid, complete refund, replacement product, whatever. Be persevering if you get some kind of boilerplate response from an entry-level customer service rep.

If your talents lie in the direction of creating a YouTube video that could go viral, then have someone film you setting up the coop and point out the deficiencies. Then tell the customer service rep that, if you do not receive a resolution to your complaint to your satisfaction, you intend to post the video and link it to your Facebook page, along with updating the thousands of BYC members as to what happened.

Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," and no company likes negative publicity. Keep asking to talk to a "higher-up" until this situation is resolved fairly. After all, your chickens deserve the best!

(P.S. As a side note, I ordered a new desktop computer, monitor, video card, and camera system from Dell in April. Every possible thing that could have gone wrong with my order occurred, and I heard excuse after excuse. Finally, I lost my cool and demanded to speak to a regional manager. After that conversation and four months of waiting, she admitted that the company had dropped the ball BIG TIME and that they would comp my whole order -- no charge for anything.)
smile.png

Thanks for the advice Calista! I composed of a letter showing pictures of the coop i received and the ones that they were advertising. Also, i included quotes from they're 'chicken coop requirement' page and showed how what they said was required was not reflected in the product they were advertising. My dad says it is a waste of time, but we can't let companies get away with weaseling money out of people who may not have read everything there was to know about chickens before purchasing the coop. I warned them that i would spread the word of their faulty advertising to friends and family. If i don't get an appropriate response i will bring up spreading the words to BYC'ers.

You are not being overly critical. You ordered and paid for what they advertised and that is what you were supposed to get. What they advertised was NOT what they sent to you. I would feel the same way as you do. I hope they can make this wrong a right. Good luck with everything.

Back
Top Bottom