A mixture of Hay and Shavings? Good/Bad idea???

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
Hi!
I was thinking of using hay and shavings in the coop. I'm thinking the shavings would help keep the smell down..? I would probably put the hay then the shaving down and mix them together... Maby its stupid, I just want something efficient and keeps the smell away.
Opinions??
Thanks!!
~Brandon

MrJesse34

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Long Valley
Thats actually what I'm doing now. I'm doing deep litter with hay (or straw, not sure which) and pine shavings. I mix some pine shavings in when people are coming over to see them cuz it gives the whole coop a nice smell. When I clean the coop, I just rake up all the hay and shavings and make a big pile. Then I throw some cracked corn into it, and by morning the chickens have flattened everything out. I don't see any reason why this would be an issue. There was a tiny moisture issue earlier in the year for me, so I'm planning on getting some PDZ and / or some hydrated lime at the tractor supply store near me.

bryan99705

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
North Pole, Alaska 99705
If you're going this route and notice a moisture problem you may want to look into an inexpensive horse stall product called StayDry. Read a post about it and sounds like good stuff the keep a coop floor dry. Thought it might come in handy

TwoCrows

Inuit Raven
Staff member
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I use Burmuda grass hay and shavings in my coop. Since they love to eat hay, this grass hay seems to be easier to digest and not clog up the crop. But the section of the coop under the roost is all shavings. Shavings do a wonderful job of keeping the smell down where hay won't. The rest of the coop is shavings mixed with this grass hay. It works really well for my girls.

welasharon

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
North Florida
I started out with an open air pen with sand. Then, of course, I had to expand and I put shavings in the new part. Then, in the winter, since I am open air, I put hay bales in to help retain warmth and cut the cold air. Now, naturally, I have a mixture of sand, hay and shavings in the original part and shavings and hay in the addition. I prefer the part with sand but would prefer it to have less of the hay and shavings mixed in.

Top Bottom