A mixture of Hay and Shavings? Good/Bad idea???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ragerkid2, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Hi!
    I was thinking of using hay and shavings in the coop. I'm thinking the shavings would help keep the smell down..? I would probably put the hay then the shaving down and mix them together... Maby its stupid, I just want something efficient and keeps the smell away.
    Opinions??
    Thanks!!
    ~Brandon

2. MrJesse34

MrJesse34 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Long Valley
    Thats actually what I'm doing now. I'm doing deep litter with hay (or straw, not sure which) and pine shavings. I mix some pine shavings in when people are coming over to see them cuz it gives the whole coop a nice smell. When I clean the coop, I just rake up all the hay and shavings and make a big pile. Then I throw some cracked corn into it, and by morning the chickens have flattened everything out. I don't see any reason why this would be an issue. There was a tiny moisture issue earlier in the year for me, so I'm planning on getting some PDZ and / or some hydrated lime at the tractor supply store near me.

3. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    i think im going to try it = ] Thanks!

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're going this route and notice a moisture problem you may want to look into an inexpensive horse stall product called StayDry. Read a post about it and sounds like good stuff the keep a coop floor dry. Thought it might come in handy [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I use Burmuda grass hay and shavings in my coop. Since they love to eat hay, this grass hay seems to be easier to digest and not clog up the crop. But the section of the coop under the roost is all shavings. Shavings do a wonderful job of keeping the smell down where hay won't. The rest of the coop is shavings mixed with this grass hay. It works really well for my girls. [​IMG]

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I started out with an open air pen with sand. Then, of course, I had to expand and I put shavings in the new part. Then, in the winter, since I am open air, I put hay bales in to help retain warmth and cut the cold air. Now, naturally, I have a mixture of sand, hay and shavings in the original part and shavings and hay in the addition. I prefer the part with sand but would prefer it to have less of the hay and shavings mixed in.

7. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    i use wood stove pellets under straw and it works very well

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you can keep the litter dry you won't have a smell problem. Once the moisture becomes a issue, you have smell and health issues.. Learned that from Grampa [​IMG]

9. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:Where do you find the Stay Dry at??

10. MrJesse34

MrJesse34 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Long Valley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by