a moral dilemma

Let me explain it to you then.
The old Spanish man wants fertile eggs. I think it's safe to assume he intends to hatch them.
He may have a broody hen, or plan to do it by some other means. Say it's a broody hen. She will sit on those eggs maybe for the full term both her and the old man hoping for chicks. That's at least 21 days of expectation that will inevitably result in disappointment.
The old man will probably reaise at some point that the eggs were not fertile. what does he do now; complian? And then what? The OP is more or less forced into the position of telling another lie. The old man will probably suspect.
Sure, great diplomacy and way to avoid conflict with your neighbor.:he:he:he
So...... I give you a scenario and tell me which one you think is right and which one is wrong.

SCENARIO : OK. I'm in the battlefield and one of my guys has just got shot up with a sub-machine gun and riddled with about 40 holes in him. It's clear as day that he will perish soon unless the hand of god reaches down upon him. Do you say........

Response #1 - "Hey, buddy.... you're looking worse than a block of Swiss Cheese there and about to die soon, no way anyone can help you out, you're good as dead. Can I have your pair of boots since we're the same size"?

OR

Response #2 - "Hey, man..... just hold on, you're alright everything will be alright. Remember that day at bootcamp and that drill instructor was being an azz to me, and later that day we snuck in his room and filled his boots full of shit?! That was funny wasn't it?" And that time I collapsed in our 20 mile hike and you had to pull me off the ground and yelled into my ears to keep moving and not give up? Well, now it's your turn..... keep holding on, don't you give up on me!" (Even though you know he's good as dead but want to comfort him in his last dying moment).

TELL ME!!!! HUH?? Which is the wrong or right one?!!

So...... I give you a scenario and tell me which one you think is right and which one is wrong.

SCENARIO : OK. I'm in the battlefield and one of my guys has just got shot up with a sub-machine gun and riddled with about 40 holes in him. It's clear as day that he will perish soon unless the hand of god reaches down upon him. Do you say........

Response #1 - "Hey, buddy.... you're looking worse than a block of Swiss Cheese there and about to die soon, no way anyone can help you out, you're good as dead. Can I have your pair of boots since we're the same size"?

OR

Response #2 - "Hey, man..... just hold on, you're alright everything will be alright. Remember that day at bootcamp and that drill instructor was being an azz to me, and later that day we snuck in his room and filled his boots full of shit?! That was funny wasn't it?" And that time I collapsed in our 20 mile hike and you had to pull me off the ground and yelled into my ears to keep moving and not give up? Well, now it's your turn..... keep holding on, don't you give up on me!" (Even though you know he's good as dead but want to comfort him in his last dying moment).

Ummm ... valid point, but not really productive at this point. I'm thinking that we need to keep to the OP's original track and not let this degenerate into a moral mud-sling.
Everybody ... take a deep breath and let's get back on track. Please?

So...... I give you a scenario and tell me if which one you think is right and which one is wrong.

OR

Well, that's a bit of an extreme example. And...well, I don't remember the name of that exact logical fallacy (That particular high-school class was a long, long time ago) but you're presenting two false options with the implication that we have to pick one of the two. We don't. We could leave the first sentence off of option #2. We could state #1 a lot more nicely and ask if he has anything he'd like to say to his relatives. We could ignore both options completely and say, "hey, buddy, held on for me, yeah? It's not likely you'll make it, but I am going to try my d***edest to get you out of here intact. Don't give up on me now."

Regardless, it's an inappropriate metaphor for this particular situation. That particular lie would be unkind, easily detected, and ultimately pointless.

I thought your first post was funny, when I didn't believe it was serious. (Okay, I admit. I still think it's funny. But it's definitely not a viable answer.)

Am looking for help because I need some outside opinion here. I have cochin hens, a cochin cockbird, buff orpington hens, a buff orpington cockbird, and a selection of pedresa hens and pita pinta hens. They are all in the same run together. I keep them for their gardening skills (earth tilling, and compost making) beauty and as a bonus for the eggs. They do sometimes go broody and sometimes hatch out their eggs. I am not a breeder, and let them inter breed amongst themselves. From last years hatch this has resulted in four pure breed buff orpington hens and what looks like two cochin x pedresa hens.
My dilemma is this. My neighbour, who works the land next to mine but doesn't actually live here, has asked my husband for fertilised eggs. I am loath to give them to him as he already has some hybrid hens which he lets forage in his fields without any sort of fencing, enclosure or coop. He also has ducks which he treats in the same fashion. The ducks hatch out clutches of 12 - 15 babies every year, but we are not over run by ducks as they are sometimes killed by foxes and dogs (in the most vicious manner, as I'm sure you already know) and occasionally by my neighbour himself.
Exactly this is the reason I am loath to give him my hens' fertilised eggs - he doesn't look after his birds, He lets them run free without any sort of protection. His fields are completely open, no fences or anything. I feel it would be irresponsible of me to give him fertilised eggs knowing that there is a good chance of the chickens that are hatched coming to an early and grizzly death.
Am I being over sensitive?
My husband is of the opinion that we eat the eggs, so what am I making a fuss about? He also pointed out that our neighbour regularly gives us produce that he has grown in the fields, and we should reciprocate, although I do pay him for the veggies he gives us, when he accepts payment which he sometimes doesn't.
I just don't feel comfortable giving him the eggs to be incubated (by one of his broody ducks) and then, when hatched, the birds will be left to fend for themselves...
How about this: you live there but the neighbor doesn't, any chance you could see if he would let you build a little coop on his land and throw them some food in the evening? You could give him the eggs, and then show him how much better his birds are doing with a little change in the upkeep...

I don’t think giving him a few eggs would hurt anything your not giving him birds or cats just fertilized chicken eggs. They probably won’t hatch anyway if nothing is taken care of. It sounds like he has been very nice to you I would give him the eggs. In the end they are yours so whatever you do is fine it’s not the end of the world.

This is a fascinating thread! Everyone's answer is right for them and that's just how it should be, right? This could be a sociology paper....

But, I have a chicken-related question about the whole situation -- OP, are your birds good foragers? I'm new to chickens and not familiar with all of your breeds, but if your stock isn't cut out for what your neighbor wants, that would seem to be a reasonable basis to decline that avoids any philosophical questions.

I'd agree with saying you aren't comfortable giving the eggs, but putting it on yourself as being soft about your livestock. Maybe explain that you're worried that something would kill them, and you don't want to see birds related to yours be killed by dogs like that or left out in the elements.

Back
Top Bottom