A most precious gift - from my Dad to my husband *pic*

When I was a very little girl (the only girl) we were sitting around my dad - I was on his lap - and he asked each of us what we wanted when he died. I don't remember what the boys said but I told him all I wanted was the buttons on his uniform. Funny how you remember those things.

He died several years ago and I still miss him every day.

I love your story - that's what Daddy's are made of.

lol.png
I bet there are!

One of my favorite "daughter-approved" stories is the one my Dad told about coming in from the field, getting cleaned up & issued a brand new uniform (old ones had to be burned!) & then heading for the mess tent for some R&R with his buddies.
On the way they ran into a Nazi ambush & had to throw themselves onto the ground to avoid getting shot.
Onto the muddy ground.....
Dad said it took 4 of his buddies to hold him back from attacking that nest of snipers barehanded for ruining his clean uniform
somad.gif

What a wonderful gift.......what a legacy to be passed on from generation to generation....

Here is a photo of my daughter (brown hair) and her best friend (blonde hair) receiving their Nato Medal in Afghanistan.

85939_nato_medal.jpg

*sniffle..sniffle..* Thats SO awesome and sweet and it made me tear up a bit.
Tell your Dad thank you for serving our country.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

They are beautiful...
bow.gif

My dad was in the navy in WWII too. He was on a tanker in the Pacific. He didnt talk much about the war only that they were off the coast of Japan when they dropped the bomb, and that they docked to drop off nurses and doctors afterwards. It was so horrible that he didnt want to remember. Sadly he passed away May 19, 2000 of lung cancer. Not a day goes by that I dont think of him. Hope your dad is with you for many more years and what a wonderful gift that was given.

Last edited:
when my dad passed away, the local guard gave him a 21 gun salute as well. My gma(his mother) was there, but she was so drugged up cuz she was in the process of dying as well. The flag went to my brother. The casings went to his children and his brother and sister that were here as well. i took pics of the whole thing, got them printed as a poster from Shutterfly.com and have it framed. (the service) It was hard, and still is. it's only been 8 months. but im so glad that i have what i have. he didn't have anything at the end. he never spoke of being in Vietnam. but i know that he went through hell being there.

Back
Top Bottom