A Muscovy adopted us...can you help me with some info?

Merchris

Songster
16 Years
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, so a few months ago a white muscovy drake walked onto our property and he's been with us every since. He's very nice and gets along with our chickens just fine, although I have seen him chasing some hens on occassion. We have been giving him some chicken feed as I was told that was ok at the feed store, and I've filled some really large water bins that we've used for the horses with water so he can bathe or swim a little if he'd like. I have seen him taking a bath in a smaller one, not so much swimming in the other. So, this past week, he has suddenly started flying places, but always comes back. My concern with that is him getting injured by a predator or something. So, that leads to a few duck questions I hope you can help me out with please:

1. should we clip his wings? I feel kind of mean doing that.
2. does he need duck friends? we were thinking of getting him some ladies. or will any kind of duck do?
3. what kind of water area do muscovys need? I've read different things on this and not completely sure what's correct. Some say you don't need a big area, just enough so they can rinse and bathe....but ducks like to swim, right?
4. should he really be eating the chicken feed, or something else?

I think that's about it for now. I would really appreciate any answers you guys can give us. We really like him and want to make him a happy home.

Security is a big issue. Predators love to eat duck. And if his wings aren't clipped, he can fly but that is no guarantee of safety.

So a secure area at least for night time is needed.

He could injure or accidentally kill a hen, their equipment is mismatched. Having girls of his own would be good. Other Muscovies, or a similar sized breed again to avoid injury.

Many of us can only find or afford poultry feed. There are all-flock feeds, something like that ought to be good.

I do not have Muscovies, I am sharing what I have learned from the forum. Soon, I reckon some Muscovy folks will check in here and give you a more detailed scoop.

Congratulations
smile.png

Thanks!! He gets locked in with the chickens at night and seems pretty happy with that arrangement. I'm not sure if he was chasing my hens for romantic reasons, or for food reasons. Or just boredom! I thought maybe he'd be happy with a few friends, not that I was really aiming to have ducks, but when the ducks come.....how can I say no?!! Plus, he wags his tail when I say hi to him!!

Security is a big issue. Predators love to eat duck. And if his wings aren't clipped, he can fly but that is no guarantee of safety.

So a secure area at least for night time is needed.

He could injure or accidentally kill a hen, their equipment is mismatched. Having girls of his own would be good. Other Muscovies, or a similar sized breed again to avoid injury.

Many of us can only find or afford poultry feed. There are all-flock feeds, something like that ought to be good.

I do not have Muscovies, I am sharing what I have learned from the forum. Soon, I reckon some Muscovy folks will check in here and give you a more detailed scoop.

Congratulations
smile.png
I agree with all that Amiga has said, he needs some girls at least 3. and something you may not know if Muscovy breed with Mallard derived breeds their off spring will be sterile. Not every one cares about hatching ducklings but something to take into consideration when getting him some girls. I clip one wing on my Scovy's to keep them from flying down to the river below our home which there are alot of preds. Secure housing is a must and keeping him from mating with your chickens is very important. so go find him some girls. and be sure to post some pics when you do.
smile.png

Thanks again!! I thought of a few more questions (sorry
hmm.png
), but if we get him girls, will he become aggressive, or just be happy? Someone told me if we get hens that we'd have to clip their wings because they would fly away for sure. Then is it ok if they sleep with the chickens? He's been sleeping on the floor of the coop at night, which is locked up.

I'd be careful of leaving him with the chickens. Scovies are large and as I think it was Amiga said, they are not physically compatible, so he can really do some damage to a hen. Best he has at least two, if not three girl ducks, larger breeds, to hang with. Miss Lydia has Muscovies, so she is very helpful and knowledgeable about them.
I have 4, all girls, and I love them. They are so personable. Yes, they are a bit messy, but very worth it. I would definitely clip a wing or wings.

One of my Muscovies is always in the pool, she monopolizes it. One is almost never in it and the other two are in sometimes. They love their water bowls though. I have a bunch of different sized rubber feed pans that I fill daily, (and refill, and refill....), they like them a lot too. They perch on the sides. Some are too small for that and they, along with the other ducks, use them for face washing and drinking. This is pretty important.

If you get an all purpose feed, and supplement with calcium for the girls, you will be all set.

I think if you do get a few girls for him, you will really love them, they are pretty neat birds. If you go with other breeds, which is fun too, to have a mixed flock, make sure you get some sturdy sized birds, the little breeds like Runners, Mallards, etc are not very rugged and since Muscovy drakes are pretty big, they might not do as well as the larger ones. My only drake is a RUnner, so there is no issue with the smaller breeds I have.

Good luck and love to see some pics of him!!

For a scovy drake, not knowing type/weight (french whites get very heavy) age size temperament, your better off going with a couple to a few scovy girls (i was told two to five) a year or two old. Otherwise a couple peking female will do if you want more mallard acting ducks..

Last edited:
Drakes in general are pretty rough when mating season comes around and takes a bit of getting use to by those of us that would like to see a more gentlemanly approach but in the water fowl world is common, First time I saw my ducks mating I thought the drake was trying to drown her nope just the way they mate.Oh he'll think he's died and gone to heaven when he gets his girls, My girls love their drakes very much even though they can be a bit rough on them. Just size difference but all are healthy and happy, Once you get him some girls you may notice him lose all interest in your chickens and they can all sleep together. But don't just assume it, keep a close eye on him That's one reason why I said at least 3 girls to keep him happy.
smile.png
and you can look up Metzers web site and they give instruction on how to clip, only clip one wing it keep them off balance when trying to fly. Keep us updated on what you find for him and of course pics.

Thanks everyone! We went to a farm swap yesterday looking for some ladies and just when I thought I found some...the guy sold them all. However, I think I found someone in our neighborhood who sells them. they are going to send me some photos this morning. I think I should stick with muscovy hens because he is a big boy. I honestly think he's one of the biggest ducks I've seen, not that I've seen a lot of ducks. I'm kind of bummed though because the ones we were going to get were kind of blueish...very pretty. I think the ones we might look at from a neighbor are white. I'll post the picture when they send it.

He does love his big water bowl like you said! I empty that daily as he makes a big mess of it. Eating and rinsing...eating and rinsing.

Guess I'd better look up how to clip some wings....

I'll let you guys know what happens with the lady situation.

Thanks everyone! We went to a farm swap yesterday looking for some ladies and just when I thought I found some...the guy sold them all. However, I think I found someone in our neighborhood who sells them. they are going to send me some photos this morning. I think I should stick with muscovy hens because he is a big boy. I honestly think he's one of the biggest ducks I've seen, not that I've seen a lot of ducks. I'm kind of bummed though because the ones we were going to get were kind of blueish...very pretty. I think the ones we might look at from a neighbor are white. I'll post the picture when they send it.

He does love his big water bowl like you said! I empty that daily as he makes a big mess of it. Eating and rinsing...eating and rinsing.

Guess I'd better look up how to clip some wings....

I'll let you guys know what happens with the lady situation.
I think that's a good choice, Scovy's are different than Mallard derived breeds of ducks. look forward to hearing how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom