A neat way to calibrate your Hygrometer -- Maybe??

I just did mine by:

1. 1/2 cup salt in small glass bowl or coffee cup
2. Mix 1/4 cup water into salt--it's not supposed to dissolve so don't worry.
3. Place salt mixture in large zip lock bag with hygrometer beside it, but not touching.
4. Let sit for 12 hours and read

The hygrometer should read 75

Mine reads 72 so I know it's off by -3 so I will add 3 to whatever it reads in the incubator to determine humidity.

I read a lot of those directions for cigars too, I remember seeing the stogieguys' page.

What I did was put a small travel sized pill jar about half full of salt, put in enough water to make "slush" and put it in a wide mouth Mason jar. Insert hygrometer, seal jar with lid and ring. Wait overnight.

26238_608984284001_55007926_34585319_4542987_n.jpg

My hygrometer read 84% the next morning so I consider it to be reading +9%!!!

I did that last night with one of mine, so now I know that it is 1% low. I'm hoping I can use that to check out the new ones that I bought. Maybe I'lldo it with the new ones to night!

I bought a cheap reptile type from petsmart I also bought the one from walmart for about 7 bucks when I got the one from petsmart I looked for the one that read 45-50% most A/C'S WHEN WORKING PROPERLY will dehumitify a building down to 50-55% that was the basis for which I bought the one I did both of mine agreed with each other the whole hatch I was planning on changing the batteries right before the next hatch

I have a Fluker's digital hygro and a little Springfield with large numerals that has both temp (2 degree too low) and a hygro (10% too low). If you calibrate and make adjustments by how much it's off, you can use almost any hygro. I have a Spot Check incubator thermometer made for the job for temp and use Hovabators usually.

Back
Top Bottom