A need to vent my frustration

Thanks for all the comments. What I mainly needed was a "place" to express my dismay and frustration where folks understand and "get it" about poultry.

I did talk with the landlord/owner of the property who said she would talk with the neighbors (their tenants). She agrees with me so we'll see what happens.

One comment here was something to the effect that when city people move to the country, they think they can let their dogs run free (and also play their music really loud I might add). I think that's what is going on with these people, but I also think they are too lazy to train their dog to behave (she's still a puppy). I have neighbors who have dogs that don't leave their property. Well-trained dogs are happier dogs. Perhaps that goes for humans, too.

Thanks again.

Buy a slingshot or other similar
type weapon you feel comfortable using to deter this dog and practice with it so you are comfortable using it.
I have used .22 birdshot to deter dogs from some ducks we had.
This dog came from what was our nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away.
Some dogs get it right away and some take several hits over several days before they wise up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Actually it s not considered cruelty if it is being used to keep another's animal off your property, especially if that animal is posing a real threat to your pets, and it is certainly more humane that shooting to kill or injure the animal.

You say you live in the country? By "country" do you mean the suburbs of a city or town? Or really in the country, as in forest or farmland? If the latter then it is usually the case that you are fully within your rights to take any measures necessary to prevent an animal from endangering the lives of your flock, especially if you have already notified the owner of said animal and they have done nothing to prevent further incidences.

Check with the ordinances pertaining to your local area to be sure, and if this is the case then be sure to show a copy to your neighbor's tenant, preferably with an animal control agent in tow to make it official that he has been properly notified. Animal Control is probably the best place to start, in fact, as they will know the laws and be willing to help you with this.

I realize this website is "BackYard Chickens" but I like it very much. We don't have backyard chickens. We have a bona fide farm in one of the rural areas of the county. Like everything else around here, however, it is being gobbled up by tiny subdivisions.

Yes, I have talked with the owner/LL re: ordinances, and she was going to read them in more detail herself prior to talking with tenants. Our animal control works like this: three warnings first (never mind if an animal is injured or killed), and with fourth warning, the owners of the dog gets fined.

Forget animal control. That is one of those things like when seconds count, the police are only 30 minutes away.

The absolute best way to deal with neighbors dogs is an electric fence. I shot my first and only stray dog when I was about 15. I didn't know whose dog it was, I only knew it was our place where it didn't belong and it was causing trouble. So I got out the buckshot and killed it. Turns out it belonged to neighbors of ours.......relatives really, and they were pretty heartbroken somebody had killed their beloved pet. I have had run ins with others about dogs and have finally concluded the absolute best solution is to let the fence deal with it.

A well constructed, really hot fence will repel all borders. They come, they get zapped to the point they may believe their eyeball just exploded, they leave, they rarely come back. No need to wave guns around and no issues with friends, neighbors, relatives, tenants. That works for everything.....dogs and varmints, up to and including bears if it is done right.

goodpost.gif
+1 on that. If you can afford it a passive defense is always the best one.

I have often considered using one of the kids paint ball guns on my neighbors dog. Maybe if they had to bath their dog daily they would keep it home.

They also make paintballs with pepper spray in them.
Or they can be frozen to give them a little more sting if the dog doesn't seem to get the point the first time.

I understand it's frustrating when the problem people and their pets don't get it.
To some of us there more than just egg factories.
There our pets and they mean a lot to us.
Especially if we've raised them from chicks or even incubated/hatched them.
And just as parents are responsible for their mischief causing children so must owners of mischief causing pets be held accountable.
Some people just shouldn't own pets!

The issue with any method that requires you to be there.....shooting anything.........is you have to be there. 24/7 and at the ready all the time. Most of us cannot do that.

Second issue is that even though you may be within your rights to do that, in the vast majority of the time, YOU will be seen as the one in the wrong. It creates friction that never goes away. No need for any of that. Let the fence zap em. It is highly effective and nobody can complain that their god........sorry......typo.......dog got zapped. It wasn't killed, maimed or injured, but it is taught a lesson.......and a painful one at that.

Smart animals.......and many of them are.......will refuse to go near it. No other deterrent I know of gets that type of response. Shooting something with anything.......paintball gun, pellet gun, rock salt...whatever, might make some people feel better, but is not nearly as effective as the fence. Using shooting as a defense, dog only knows to fear you and look for you.......if you are not around, chickens are fair game. Fence surrounding the chickens at whatever distance you put it teaches the dog that going near the chickens is to be avoided. As in don't chase and kill chickens, avoid them. Isn't that really the end result that is desired?

The issue with any method that requires you to be there.....shooting anything.........is you have to be there. 24/7 and at the ready all the time. Most of us cannot do that.

Second issue is that even though you may be within your rights to do that, in the vast majority of the time, YOU will be seen as the one in the wrong. It creates friction that never goes away. No need for any of that. Let the fence zap em. It is highly effective and nobody can complain that their god........sorry......typo.......dog got zapped. It wasn't killed, maimed or injured, but it is taught a lesson.......and a painful one at that.

Smart animals.......and many of them are.......will refuse to go near it. No other deterrent I know of gets that type of response. Shooting something with anything.......paintball gun, pellet gun, rock salt...whatever, might make some people feel better, but is not nearly as effective as the fence. Using shooting as a defense, dog only knows to fear you and look for you.......if you are not around, chickens are fair game. Fence surrounding the chickens at whatever distance you put it teaches the dog that going near the chickens is to be avoided. As in don't chase and kill chickens, avoid them. Isn't that really the end result that is desired?

Like I said, I've considered it, not done it. My crazy neighbor seems quite happy to pay $250 bucks per bird. I charge him for every dozen of eggs I could get , plus all the feed and time involved in raising them up to point of death.

I agree shooting isn't a substitute for proper coop and run security.
But sometimes removing the repeat offender is a good option.
If the same stray cat, dog, raccoon, etc is causing you problems or killing your birds removing it might be the correct answer.
That may involve shooting it or trapping and relocating it to the pound or another wooded area far from your property.

Back
Top Bottom