A new flock for Liz, the chicken who survived a fox.

Puddle Foot Farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Maryland
Hi guys. This is just a little thread I'm starting to detail our rather interesting [you be the judge] set of birds. Okay? Okay. Let's get down to the nitty gritty details!
First of all, my mom and I have a history of trying to save birds. We spent $1000 dollars on our poor chicken at an exotic vet to get her leg amputated. Then we transformed out unfinished master bedroom into her own little suite. Well, she died a couple years ago from natural causes, and we're at it again! We have yet another disabled chicken that can't go back with her old flock.
Liz Taylor is our beloved three year old Ameraucana who lives in our house. Why you ask? Well, she's missing part of her head. She has no comb or eye due to a fox.
One night almost a year ago, my mom came home late and forgot to close in the chickens. At about nine, we heard a sudden commotion in the coop and my mom ran out there, hoping that she wasn't too late. [We had lost chickens before to foxes, and even a weasel who just slit their throats and ran.
sad.png
]
When she got out there, the fox ran off and most of the chickens ran out of the coop. Our rooster was okay, and so were two of the hens. But, two were missing. My mom took our dog out to find them, and easily found the fourth wandering around. But we STILL couldn't find Liz. Finally, my mom found her in the stream bed, and thought she was okay. But soon she noticed that part of her head was missing.
Well, my mom has a soft spot for chickens and obviously couldn't just kill her. So we cleaned it, made our own mix of herbs and such to help her heal, wrapped it up, and put her in the bathroom to see if she would live. Miraculously, she did, despite a lot of blood loss. For the next month, my mom was constantly taking care of her, surprised that she was still alive. And slowly, she got better.
To make a long story short, she lived. But when she was well enough to go outside, the others rejected her because let's face it, she looks quite funny. She actually looks VERY similar to a chicken version of Two Face from Batman, and she's missing an eye.
So, we gave her the chicken suite. For a while she's lived up there, all on her ownsome, with humans only for companionship. But we decided that she needs friends.
Today, we adopted two two-month-old buff cochins who are currently in a pen in her room, so they can become acquainted. Honestly, Liz didn't really seem to care. But we're going to expand her flock over the next couple months, and we're building them a brand new pen.
Another interesting face in our flock will be Twister, an Ameraucana who was born with a twisted beak. A local farmer decided that we should have her after he heard our story about Liz.

So, what do you think, guys? Would you call our flock a bit interesting?

Edit: I put some pictures of Liz and the girls on page two!

Last edited by a moderator:
What an absolutely wonderful story. I am so warmed by your kindness to Liz and your concern for her wellbeing. I think Liz's flock sounds like the perfect mix!

I just rescued a chicken from our local shelter earlier this week. She was found wandering around downtown in a bad area and is completely debeaked. She was also incredibly skinny, pale comb, lice, etc. Now I have had her for 3 days. She is devouring food like there is no tomorrow, and her fave is cottage cheese. I seriously think there is more color in her comb today. I am worried about introducing her to the rest of my flock. So, when my current chicks reach about 10 weeks, I think I might put a couple of the females in with her and see how they do. Either that, or I might put my black bantam Wyandotte in with her. My 3 OEG bantams really pick on my Wyandotte, so I figure maybe it would be a good fit. I haven't got any other actual injured or rescued chickens right now, but if I ever do, I hope I can put them with Red Rosie, my rescued girl.
Claire

Aww, thanks guys! I don't really think Liz knows exactly what the new chickens are exactly. But hopefully she'll warm up!
Hopefully she's gone through the last of the injuries for a while. We're getting some new day-old chicks next week so hopefully we'll be able to introduce them to the misfit flock sometime soon.
And Claire, good luck with Red Rosie! That sounds like a great idea to put the picked on one with her. And maybe even some of the little ones. Hopefully she'll be more interested than Liz was, who just went to the other side of the room, hopped on her perch, and looked at me like, "Am I supposed to care, really?" She's so spoiled.
tongue.png

That's great that she lived and that you guys are so willing to help these chickens out! What an uplifting story! Thanks for sharing it.
smile.png

Did they roost together? I am glad to hear she is appearing to enjoy their company. I figured it might take time for her to adjust, but it sounds like she's well on the way!

Awww what a touching story. I too have a soft spot for animals ever sinc ei was a kid id rescue anything and everything i could find including a baby barn owl that fell out of the nest. I worked at a convenience store years ago and had a mother/ daughter paper route team pop in to tell me about it laying in the road. I brought it home and of course my hubby looks at me like im nuts. I made a few phone calls to rescue centers and stumbled upon a raptor center where they came out and took the baby owl and placed it back in the nest it fell out of. I would have kept it but i think it is illegal here and i wanted it to have the best life possible. I also have a japanese hen with only one toe left on each foot i had bought for $5 at a critter exchange. It wasn't until i got her home that i say how bad her feet and legs were. She gets weekly foot soaks, her own special coop in the garage with her buddy a dutch hen and is very well taken care of now. Knowing her quality of life is poor she doesn't seem to be suffering and i plan on keeping her til she passes naturally. It is sooo nice to hear of others having such big hearts and going above and beyond like i do
big_smile.png
thanks so much for what you do it is AWESOME!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom