A new predator--LLAMAS!

Salve&Fluffer

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Today I went to Fawn Doe Rosa,and 2 ducklings were following me.They kept going in and out of all the animal's cages.When they went in the llama's cage,the llama was chasing them around with its mouth open and trying to eat them!Luckily,they escaped.
thumbsup.gif

:eek:

What's the scoop on alpacas? There are a few on sale down the road.

Seriously though, between the pigs and llamas, is no species safe?

d.k :

* I begin to understand why some poultry types are so skiddish--
wink.png

Yeah....because seems like EVERYTHING likes Chicken!! From knats and mites and lice....all the way up to bear! Poor Chickies!!
lol.png

Well, was she just trying to get them out of her pen or really kill them?

In reading how to handle our preditor problems, llamas were one recommended as guardian animals for goats and poultry. Darn! I hope this llama was exceptionally ill-tempered and not the norm.

Connie

Oh dear......I saw this thread and cringed. As the owner of llamas (guard and pet) I have to say, once the llamas smell the animal, see it is no threat the will generally leave it alone. when I get a new barn critter, I always bring it to the llamas and let them sniff it THOROUGHLY, then let the animal be in a cage within eyesight of the llamas for a while. Llamas are very curious, they will sniff any little critter that comes in thier pen if it will stop long enough to be sniffed. Most critters run, and so the llama will run, thus scaring the critter even worse. On the other hand, if it is NOT a critter that has been introduced to them, they will stomp it to smitherines. they are guard animals, and fine ones at that. mine are worth thier weight in gold.
big_smile.png

Please introduce you little ducks to them, and all should be well. As a side note, my chickens LOVE my llamas, and snuggle up to them in the winter during the day for warmth.

Ok, went back and re read the post. I see they were not your animals......sorry. But to anyone else, llamas ARE good animals, and aweome guards. Not poultry killers.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom