A new question about dog food selection

Our options for food this month are limited to what our Walmart has. We live in a small town, we both work at the local walmart, and the closest "petstore" is 45 miles away. We usually feed Blue Buffalo, and plan to switch all the big dogs to that later this fall/next spring. Purina One may not be "the best" but it is the best we have available to us where we are. Our local Thiesens has Eukanuba and a few others like that, I prefer the Purina one and it is cheaper. The dogs like it better, and the Eukanuba has corn in it too. The ingredients of the Purina One lamb and rice we feed is Lamb, then brewers rice and then corn gluten meal. Not great, but better then the Iams or Eukanuba that is available locally. Tractor supply is even farther away, and I have no idea if we have a Costco or not, but if we do it is no closer then the "pet stores " are.

Thanks again, we will just be cutting back on the amount and continuing with the Purina One for this month.

3524_dsc03060.jpg

Just wanted to share a few more pictures of my babies. I need to get some more of Lani after her hair cut. She looks like a different dog!

These are all from last spring by the way, when the two big dogs where on nothing but Old Roy, because we where living on one paycheck. I won't feed them just that again, but I can't say they look bad from eating only that (and the deer they where always bring up to the yard)
ApolloandLani.jpg

Apollo-1.jpg

leilani.jpg

Apollo.jpg

Annie when she was only on Purina One, she does look better on Blue buffalo, no argument there. I can't wait to have all three on just that.
Anniesleepingatgrammas.jpg

Annieeatingatreat.jpg

I'm gonna take some new ones tonight. I love taking pictures of the dogs, and they get to come in every night now that my husband works third shift, they come in when I get home from work at about 10:30, and are inside till I go to bed at 1am. They just lay around inside though. Annie will try to get them to play and they don't want to, but outside they love to wrestle with each other and chase.

also, don't overlook ordering food online! you can get high quality food and lots of places have shipping for as little as $5.

I feed mine with Ol' Roy and I'm proud of it!
wink.png
Shiny, healthy, active and never have to vet...no big, sloppy poops like everyone claims, etc. It's just like anything else in this world....what your animal thrives on and how you manage their health otherwise counts for a lot.

If you have house dogs that never get to live outside and experience all the variety that comes with that, then maybe a more nutritional dog food may be the answer. I visit a lot of houses....every single house dog I have seen is horribly overweight and horribly unhealthy looking with complaints of hotspots, crippled joints, stomach ailments, etc. If those animals are eating " the best", which I have no doubt they are, please leave my dogs all the Ol' Roy!
tongue.png

the main problem I've had with Ol' Roy is the amount that my dogs eat on it. I spent more on Ol Roy at the cheaper price than a more expensive food. Then I got a dog who is allergic to corn and bleech!! Ol' Roy is not his friend. Stinky ears, oily flaky skin.

I agree though, that whatever your dog does good on.

Diamond naturals is a decent food for a reasonable price. It also comes in a 40# bag so its a good one for having large dogs. (ONLY the naturals formula though, the rest of diamond foods are junk).

You really do not need to spend a lot on dog food and it's sad to hear that you're in this position. Dogs have been living on the cheaper brands for decades and still live as long and as well as the others. You can always add some type of fish oil or extra virgin olive oil and eggs I you want to boost it. Eggs are so ridiculously good for dogs and can be the main ingredient if you have enough eggs.

I make my own dog food and have studied long on what it takes. Don't beat yourself up over it....get the cheaper and modifiy a little bit. Putting fish oil capsules in even the so called best kibble food is very beneficial. Don't ever let cottage cheese, yogurt go bad...add it to their food. Beef liver is cheap and a little bit added is also a major boost.

Wishin' you all the best!

Just wanted to add a few more pictures of the dogs. Amazon.com has great deals on dog food. Blue buffalo can be gotten for $40 with free shipping. Much cheaper then at the pet stores around here.

AppolloOctober2011.jpg

AnnieOctober17th2011.jpg

LaniAppollooct2011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom