A new Serama-sized game bantam

Pics
They reasonably conform to the ABA standards for the Red Junglefowl bantam, a breed I’ve never heard anyone talk about before.
I never heard of it before either, but now that I look, it is on the list of breeds recognized on the American Bantam Association website. Neat!

https://www.bantamclub.com/recognized-breed-and-variety

Red Junglefowl do not exist anymore so the RJF bantam cannot exist either.
The American Bantam Association recognizes a breed called "Junglefowl" in a color called "red." So yes, a breed by that name DOES exist, and is clearly the one OP means ("ABA standards for the Red Junglefowl bantam" cannot reasonably refer to anything else.)

The American Bantam Association recognizes a breed called "Junglefowl" in a color called "red." So yes, a breed by that name DOES exist, and is clearly the one OP means ("ABA standards for the Red Junglefowl bantam" cannot reasonably refer to anything else.)
The name Red Junglefowl, Gallus gallus, was already taken by the ancestral bird. If the ABA decided to recognize a breed called Velociraptor would that mean the original Velociraptor is no longer extinct?

The name Red Junglefowl, Gallus gallus, was already taken by the ancestral bird. If the ABA decided to recognize a breed called Velociraptor would that mean the original Velociraptor is no longer extinct?
They can call a breed anything they want.
The name of the breed has nothing to do with whether the original wild jungle fowl or the original velociraptor is extinct.

Oh.... OK. I thought they had to have black breast and red to be BBR. I have BBR roosters born from wheaten-colored black tail buff gamefowl hens and identical (and related) BBR roosters born from hens that look like your picture.
Varieties like wheaten and BBR look different for hens and roosters. However, a BBR rooster is genetically closer to a BBR hen than a wheaten rooster.

I think the red junglefowl standard lies in the original Gallus gallus species description. You can find a summary on Wiki. Among other things, the description includes the presence of an eclipse plumage during the period June to October. So, in an ornathological evaluation, any chicken not having an eclipse plumage is not a RJF. Indigenous Red Junglefowl are wildlife, not domestic animals, and they should be treated as such.

The original species description would not apply to Gallus domesticus, the domestic chicken.. So, I concede. Call them whatever you want.

Last edited:
The quickest way to get to your goal is to hatch a couple hundred every year and select accordingly. I did that with the breed I have and after several years I ended up getting some that were too small, so now I have to breed them back up again.
Your breed is what? Cubalaya?
I don’t have all that much space because unfortunately my mom and brother also have chickens and we have one coop (and some growout pens.) My Buckeyes are finally getting where I want, but I’m graduating soon, so I’ll do one last hatch and then sell them all off, and hopefully somebody will take them up. I’m too in love with d’Anvers to dedicate any space to the Buckeyes in the future. I think Buckeyes are a great breed, but the d’Anvers are the only thing I really want. (Chickenswise, anyway.)

Back
Top Bottom