A new source of protein?????? Ugh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Engteacher, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    When cleaning out the garden on Saturday, we came across a nest of 10 baby rabbits. Apparently, we have fewer feral cats in the neighborhood than I thought. We debated what to do, since we have had years when the population of rabbits explodes and we have to bring a family friend in to harvest them. We didn't have the heart to dispatch the bitty fluffs of fur, and so we moved the nest off to the side and continued our chores. Two hours later, we watched as the mother rabbit came back to her spot, sniffed around, and quickly located her offspring. Harmony restored.

Our garden production would suffer for this, no doubt.

This morning, our tender-hearted son opened the run so that the chickens could forage and run about a bit. After lunch, I went out and saw that the nest of 10 is now down to just three. I feel certain that the hens found a new source of protein, especially after watching the hens chase after one bird that clearly was playing keep-away from the rest of the flock. All I can say is that it wasn't a dandelion that she was carrying. Ugh.

Bottom line - who needs cats when you have chickens to keep the local rodent population down.

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    o....m....g...well..we have a massive ground squirrel problem...I am hoping.....

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Wow. I tossed my girls a mole and they would not touch it. Snakes and lizards, however, create a feeding frenzy!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    A mole made the mistake of coming above ground in a chicken hotspot. All that was left was the skull.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My hens went after a teacup chihuahua once. If I hadn't been there to witness the attack and intervene I think they would have killed it. They were certainly trying and bloodied it pretty good, before it took off running.

6. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I stand behind the fact that if we ever were to be knocked down and rendered unconcious in the chicken coop or surounding area, we would be pecked clean by the very mouths we feed [​IMG]

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    to bad rats don't come out by day.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Watching a hen trying to swallow a live ten inch snake is hilarious.

The really big birds however have to be carefully trained and confined. Too dangerous otherwise...

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:This is why my sister doesn't lay outside in the sun anymore [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by