A newbie learns a lesson....or, don't laugh, you could bd next

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by samouw, Jun 22, 2011.

1. samouw

samouw Songster

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Okay, I will confess to a certain smugness while reading other folks' experience with mean roosters. I just knew that my sweet, loving little boys would never attack me! I am their mommy... I raised them, fed them, let them sit on my shoulder and eat my diamond earrings! Well, only one pair of earrings.
    And I knew that one day I would have to make a choice. Three roosters for 14 hens was only going to cause problems and harassed hens. But, at 3 and a half months old, I thought I had some time. Besides, the rooster to be culled was not the one that has now decided my foot is a threat. He must have been foreseeing the future, because my foot was not a threat to him until he made it one. In other words, he started it.
    So now I have a 14 week old RIR roo that is attacking my feet when I come in the pen...and drawing blood! I am just glad these guys don't have spurs!
    I know the answer. Mr Bojangles will be joining us for dinner real soon. I just thought it couldn't happen to me!

I swear to never feel smug about anyone's chicken experience ever again!

2. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chirping

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    Oh my1!!!!!! [​IMG] I have a RIR rooster that is 13 wks. I just keep watching him every time I go into the coop, waiting for him to turn on me, but nothing so far. This morning all of the girls ran out the door when I opened it, but he wouldn't come out until I left the doorway. I have 18 girls, him and a Silkie roo. (3 babies and 24 eggs) Was hoping I wouldn't have to butcher him until fall, we'll see.....

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] not at him attacking you that is not funny. but [​IMG] at the rest of it. I to thought my boys would never cause I did everything right. [​IMG] I guess that is what comes from being a newbie to chickens. We all learn these lessons. [​IMG]

4. samouw

samouw Songster

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    [​IMG]

Just thought I would post an update....

Tonight I had a delicious chicken salad sandwich. Need I say more? [​IMG]

Guess I need to change the rooster count in my signature.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

5. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chirping

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I bet it wasn't that difficult to do? I have a maturing rooster that is about to meet the same fate. I mentioned it to my friends, and they said, "I thought you liked that rooster?" I guess I still do, but just in another way.[​IMG]

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Glad you seem to have a good sense of humor about it. Sorry & glad dinner was good!

7. samouw

samouw Songster

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Quote:Nope, it wasn't tough at all. I went in the chicken coop with a bath towel, cornered him, threw the towel over him, and grabbed him by the feet. Then I tossed him in an empty dog crate with a little bit of food and water and left to run errands in town. When I got home, hobby was canning chicken broth in the kitchen and there was more chicken in the freezer. Easy peasey [​IMG]

8. samouw

samouw Songster

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Quote:I wouldn't know how to survive without a sense of humor...I mean, I would still be nuts but it would be much more destructive. Lol

9. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I love my turkey that we raised since May of last year. Some days he is so sweet and his pretty eyes just melt me. I feel bad for him but the day is coming.... grrrrr I don't think I'll feel bad either.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

I feel the same way! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by