A not so brief introduction.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skyedale, Sep 25, 2013.

  1. skyedale

    skyedale New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Sep 22, 2013
    30+ years ago when I rented a 100+ acre farm and I had chickens. Just the plain old white ones that I bought at the local farmers market. I was young and didn’t bother to get the name of the breed. I bought 12 and they were good laying hens. Being one person that is a lot of eggs to get through. My friends always had fresh eggs. To help keep the predators (fox, coyote, mink) away I added two Pilgrim geese to the flock. They worked better than any guard dog or fencing system. It was a good thing the geese were on the aggressive side because their fate was to be Christmas dinner. My neighbours were from Holland and had always had goose at Christmas. Once they came to Canada they found that goose was very hard to come by. Easy solution, they bought the goslings, I raised them and then they did the slaughter and dressing. I knew that my lease would eventually end because of zoning changes going on all around me. That 100+ acre farm is now a really ugly subdivision.

    Fast forward to 2013. I live on a small property in a town that is 85% agriculture based. The other 15% is housing and services. When I first moved here in 2003 there wasn’t a single set of traffic signals in the entire town. We now have one at the major cross roads. I would like to get back to having chickens on the property. I would like to keep dual purpose birds. One of things I will need to do though is get a by-law passed that small flock can be maintained on properties that are not zoned for agriculture. In this town anything under 10.1 acres is zoned residential. Does anyone on this list have experience with getting by-laws passed that allow for a small backyard flock? The most I would want to keep is 10 birds - no roosters. If it isn’t possible for me to keep chickens I would still like to stay on the list and learn more about the different breeds.

    TTFN Judi
     
  2. write2caroline

    write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,156
    52
    218
    Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

    Glad to have you here on the forum!

    I will look forward to reading your posts

    Caroline
     
  3. 1muttsfan

    1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

    18,902
    1,326
    396
    Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

    You will find lots of info on zoning in the Local Chicken Laws and Ordinances section of the Forum.

    I live in a very large county that has not one single stop light - just some blinkers at corners, and only a few of them.
     
  4. lovechickenswis

    lovechickenswis Out Of The Brooder

    41
    0
    24
    Sep 8, 2013
    Central Wisconsin
    welcome! I have no idea how you go about getting the by-law changed. I wish you luck! I have to keep my chickens at a friends property. we moved and I can not have them where we are now. I wish they were closer, but I have to drive 10 miles to their new location.
     
  5. sumi

    sumi Égalité Staff Member

    36,150
    7,923
    646
    Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!
     
  6. liz9910

    liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

    12,406
    495
    338
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!
     
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

    Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    33,753
    698
    428
    Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]
     
  8. AK Baha

    AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,523
    65
    148
    Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]
     
  9. chickenboy190

    chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

    21,979
    107
    346
    May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
     
  10. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    83,620
    12,061
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] wish you luck with the zoning board - you are welcome here regardless -
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by