A part-time broody duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by downeastthunderfarm, Apr 2, 2012.

1. downeastthunderfarm

downeastthunderfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Maine
    Dilly, one of our Pekin ducks is broody. We don't have a drake, so no fertile eggs. She becomes extremely upset with us when we take the eggs away from her and seems so sad. Rather than hanging with the other ducks, she'll sit off in the corner by herself.

So we decided to let her keep two eggs and then got two mallard eggs from a friend that had a chance of being fertile. She's been sitting on all of these for about 10 days. We candled the mallard eggs and they do not appear to be fertile. All four of our ducks continue to lay and Dilly rolls all the eggs into her nest. Every day we pull out all but the four eggs we've marked fort her..

Even if there was a fertile egg, I'm not sure that she sticks to her nest enough. Sometimes she's off the nest for an hour at a time, other times she's off for the afternoon. A part-time broody duck?

I'm not inclined to force the broodiness out of her as some suggest by putting her in a cage. So my questions...

Left to her own devices, will she get bored and give up being broody at some point if her eggs don't hatch (she's just 8 months old herself and has never hatched an egg before - so does she really know why she's sitting on those eggs?).

If we were able to get some fertile eggs, is she sitting on the nest enough to make it worth while? Should I throw a couple of chicken eggs in there?

My husband suggested getting her a couple of ducklings, but I'm doubtful about her willingness to care for ducklings that appear out of the blue! I just want happy ducks!

[​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Aw, she's so cute sitting there. It's hard to say if she'll accomplish anything but i will say.. i had the same thoughts with some of my hens BUT it did produce ducklings although sadly the pair died before being adequately developed now I do have drakes so the potential is always there.

She has yet again began she 'stole' a nest full of eggs from a maybe I am going broody gal and is now full on dedicated.. unfortunately I have also been left with another hen who I is swear sulking she and the other hen were tag teaming this original nest that failed.

The point i suppose to my ramble is the ducks I believe for the most part know what they are doing I am sure some will fail or give up but i'd give it a go.. i to thought nah, nothing will happen but i was mistaken .. my girls are young too.. just turned one and turning 1 ..

Good luck!

3. downeastthunderfarm

downeastthunderfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Maine
    UPDATE

Dilly finally started sitting on her eggs full-time. I guess the part-time business was her gearing up phase. Of course, the eggs weren't fertile. We managed to get a couple of Mallard duck eggs from a friend and we put those under her. We also put eight chicken eggs under her. 21 days later, no baby chicks (I'm fairly certain we have a Rooster that needs a little coaching) and 28 days later, no baby ducks.

So a friend gave us a couple of turkey eggs that should be fertile. She's sitting on those now and shows no signs of stopping. She is a very determined broody mama. We have another two weeks to go on the turkey eggs. Time will tell, but I'm not holding out great hope. I've got my eye on the local Blue Seal, but their ducklings do not arrive until Mid-June.

I'm ready to order a few baby ducklings to slip under her. She's not giving up the broodiness, but I want her to have a prize at the end of all her hard work!

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as she looks and feels healthy let her continue. I hope the turkeys hatch but be aware that when they try to follow mama duck into the water they will drown. Hope you can find her some ducklings so she will have the best prize of all when hatch day comes. Gosh wish you were close i am over run with fertile muscovy eggs.

5. Margot50

Margot50 Out Of The Brooder

I am new to ducks and may also have a part time broody girl. I got a trio of australian spotted about 3 weeks ago. Beautiful birds from Holderread. There were 2 eggs in the box when they arrived. I put the eggs in the litter pan in the run. I left town for 10 days leaving them with my husband. I return and there were now 12 eggs! Since that time one of the hens has been sitting on them about 6 hours a day (not that I am up at night to check). When she is sitting she stands her ground and tells me to leave her alone! No more eggs have appeared. I took 10 out (because I really do not need 12 ducklings when I am starting ouut, although I was tempted!) but am leaving her with two.
    So..
    Is this what Dillie did?
    How many hours a day are enough?
    Will the developement of the chicks be adversely affected by on again off again incubation.
    She will have been sitting in her desultory way for a week next Sunday.
    Margot

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She will probably settle for good by next Sunday, it took mine about a week to finally settle for sure. She sat off and on and all night then she just didn't come out in the morning and that was it. I would have left her with 3 eggs that way if something happens to one[hope not] the other would still have it's sib. They seem to know by instinct what to do and how long to sit. Keep us updated on when she starts and just sit back and enjoy the show isn't anything more enjoyable than watching mama and ducklings together. And [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Good advice Miss Lydia. Also for downeast. If you slip ducklings under her she will more than likely abandon them eggs. Also once any egg hatches try and get that baby out of their fast as you can and she may keep sitting on the rest. But once she walks them out its over for the other eggs. I once used a broody mallard for two months for hatching various eggs before she got disgusted with all of it.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Boy she was dedicated destin.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yep I felt like I abused her LOL!

10. Miss Lydia