A perfect brooder buddy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackiedon, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Before you read this the broody hen that hatched the eggs is sitting in a place the babies would be very vulnerable to predators.

I had a hen go broody a few weeks ago but where she was setting was not an ideal place so I thought I would move her but it didn't work. So I grabbed the eggs and put them in the bator. Saturday another hen went broody so Sunday when I checked the bator one of the orginal eggs was peeping. I have 2 bators full of eggs so I grabbed those eggs and risked lossing an arm and put the eggs under her. It started raining and where she is sitting she will get wet so I lifted her off and got one chick out from under her. I fixed her up so she could stay dry where she was. I noticed another egg was pipping. I brought it up and fixed up a brooder. That one chick peeped and peeped so loudly driving us crazy. I put a mirror in with it and nothing helped. I went back down to check and another chick had hatched so I grabbed it. I brought it up to the brooder and found this huge fuzzy houseshoe not being used anymore. These chicks LOVE it. They snuggles underneath it like a hen.

jackie

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrats on the new babies! [​IMG]

I can just imagine how much they are enjoying the fuzzy house shoes as fuzzies are my favorites in the winter!

Dawn

3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    We want pic's!!

4. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    PICS! PICS! PICS! You are going to have your hands full![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by