A Pip !!!! Minny is a MOMMA we have a chick!!!!

momofdrew

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Rochester,New Hampshire
Minny went broody the 8th with her own egg then the 8th 9th and 10th I put the other 2 girls eggs under her total 6 eggs beige and brown eggs so I figured the earliest they would pip was today... one of the beige eggs has pipped and making a lot of noise for such a little thing...and one of the brown eggs has peeping and movement when I picked Minny up.... I am afraid she will smother the babies... I am afraid to disturb her too much or the other eggs so I dont know how many are going to hatch... and I figure they will take a few days, ??? how long can it take to go from pip to zip???
Edited to add
it took only 15 min from pip to totally out of its egg... noisy litlle thing I hope she is calling her sisters to hurry up...

I am a grammy to a 20 minute old chick
ep.gif

Last edited:
she will make a great momma she has been so patient just zoning out for 3 weeks...waiting and my goodness this one didnt take very long to hatch from first pip...I hope when I wake up tomorrow she will have a few more under her... Little one has gone to sleep...

Quote:
as soon as she lets me near enough... this is my mild gentle silkie who has been growling at me if I move to close to the kennel...

hopefully we will have more tomorrow
fl.gif

I wouldn't worry about her smothering them. It seems like that would happen but it doesn't. Since you put eggs under her for a 3 day period, the later eggs will hatch later. Keep an eye on Minnie because she may leave the nest after the first two hatch. They usually sit for another day or 2 but be on guard, just in case.

Thanks Yeah I was wondering about that... what do I do if she does Though I have her in a dog kennel...
Idont have an incubator...course I dont know if they are all viable either I do know there is another one getting ready I have been hearing it...and saw it wiggling...keeping my fingers cross
fl.gif

THis is so exciting!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I hatched out my eggs with a desk lamp, so you could always use one of those and a temp/humidity gauge (found at Walmart). Just get a box and put a towel and then some paper towels over it. Put a tall container, the more surface space the better, of water in there. And put the desk lamp centered over any eggs (if she leaves the other eggs behind before hatching). Close your box lids and if it won't keep your temp up, then cover with a towel or light blanket. Check frequently to make sure your temps don't get too hot. Hopefully you won't have to rescue any eggs, but if so, that should do the trick. If you don't have that, you could always try a heating pad. I've heard some have had good luck hatching them out on that for the last day or so.

I hope all continues to go well! Congratulations!
ya.gif

Quote:
I hatched out my eggs with a desk lamp, so you could always use one of those and a temp/humidity gauge (found at Walmart). Just get a box and put a towel and then some paper towels over it. Put a tall container, the more surface space the better, of water in there. And put the desk lamp centered over any eggs (if she leaves the other eggs behind before hatching). Close your box lids and if it won't keep your temp up, then cover with a towel or light blanket. Check frequently to make sure your temps don't get too hot. Hopefully you won't have to rescue any eggs, but if so, that should do the trick. If you don't have that, you could always try a heating pad. I've heard some have had good luck hatching them out on that for the last day or so.

I hope all continues to go well! Congratulations!
ya.gif

Thanks for the info we have 3 babies now and she is still on 3 eggs Good MOMMA

Back
Top Bottom