a pip! yay!!!

quailmama 82012

Songster
Dec 27, 2019
Show Low, Arizona
its day sixteen and i just moved them into lock down yesterday, and i woke up this morning and found a pip! one of the other eggs is rocking back and forth, but i don't see a pip just yet. i have the brooder ready, and i wish i could do something else to help, but i cant and its driving me crazy!:rolleyes:
anyway, when is the longest you guys have waited before a pipped egg started to hatch? its been about eight hours so far.😬

that's good. guess i just have to sit on my hands till then eh?
I go for walks. Find something to do to keep busy. I swear, though, that watching those things hatch never gets old.
1591825309638.gif

You've discovered my addiction! I'll start lockdown in 2 days and I love the suspense of hatching time.

I messed up my first time around by not keeping good track of days and the day after I went into lockdown, I sat down to watch the tele and the incubator started cheeping at me!
I use an app called HatchKeeper. It helps me keep track of fertility, hatch rates, and dates.

Thank you. This is the first time I have done this and I am so nervous. Hopefully by twelve fourty he is out
It sounds like it's doing fine. Sometimes they take longer than 24 hours to hatch. As it mentions in the article, they need time to absorb the yolk. In my experience, the first to pip is never the first to hatch.

should i wait till tomorrow till i help it or later tonight?
It depends. At this point, I would probably help it out later tonight, but there are people who would say to leave it alone. Since I'm not there, I can't really judge to see how much energy the chick has or how much it needs help.

You will make the right choice, no matter what the outcome is.

Back
Top Bottom