A post is for people trying to figure out if their Orpington is a hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dandydoodle, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    [​IMG]

This is my Orpington hen. She lays 4 to 5 eggs a week. So just because an Orpington has a big comb and wattle doesn't mean its a roo. I have seen so many people talking about killing young birds that look like hens because, they think they are roos. Anyway take a look at my hens pics if she didn't lay eggs I would think by comb and wattle she is a boy. You really can't tell with Orpingtons unless they start rooing or laying eggs.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    thats a biiiiiiiiiiggggggg COMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    really..? is that true for all orps...? they'r very pretty...

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Do you have any pictures of her when she was younger? An age progression thing might be helpful.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a few Orpington hens that have gotten large combs and wattles as they age. You can tell yours is a hen she has no saddle feathers or pointy neck feathers. First time I have ever seen a Buff with that floppy a comb, that's usually see those on Leghorn hens. Big combs and wattles at early ages on young Orpingtons "usually" means a cockerel, that's why we always say post a pic!

6. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Sandy, my lav orp hen born just last year has that same huge flop over comb and it really does make her look like a lavender leghorn. [​IMG] All it can contribute it to is just lots of high % protein as that has been known to cause excessive combs. [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I've read that limited access to sun can cause combs to flop as well. I think there is a big difference between a big combed bird at 6 weeks old and a laying hen of 6 months or more. If you've got a big red comb on a 6 weeker, it's pretty likely a boy. However I have seen fast maturing pullets get pink pretty quick too. It is always best to look at a couple of the sex traits to ensure you're making the right decision. If you're not positive, then it's best to wait and see.

8. ALynn

ALynn New Egg

Jun 8, 2015
    This post has given me such hope! I was wondering if you could tell me what you thought about my 4 week lavender Orpington? We just love her so much and from what people say, she's a he :(

Did your hen have this much comb at 4 weeks?? Thank you!!!

This is a head and body shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

This is a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by