A Quail Daydream

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1249102099/6-pack-quail-chicken-feeder-ports?ref=share_v4_lx
I'm putting this link here because I'm going to try this for feed waste prevention. It's a set of 6 ports for $9 usd which I feel is fair. Saw them on a YouTube channel called Kayle's Quails. You cut appropriate sized holes in a six quart plastic box and glue them in. The link is for a seller on Etsy that the channel recommended.
I’ll have to look into those ones 🤔
That's a steal of a deal how could you not
That’s what I thought 😂

Well I rehomed one of my dogs on a trial period, but it didn't work out with their other dog. So back to square one on that. He's a good dog and I'm sure someone will take him in. I know there are some dog lovers who couldn't imagine having less than two dogs and I respect that, but that just isn't me... Sorry.

I need to reduce the amount of responsibility in my life; my husband just enlisted into the National Guard and will be in training for several months. These dogs are half Bernese Mountain Dog and half Labradoodle, just turned one. Siblings. They're big. Young. Strong. I'm young enough, but not big or strong, and am a full time homeschooler. I can make time to train one dog.

Anyway this relates to this quail thread because our agreement was "Rehome Duke, build the quail housing, get the quail".
Keeping small quail in a little hutch will be a lot easier for me (and more familiar territory) than trying to keep two dogs in line.

Well this postponed the quail.

I need to get this out of my system! Maybe I need to write about it.

I have been wanting to raise Coturnix quail so badly lately. I already know all the quail math, and I am aware that I don't really have the funds right now to build enough pens large enough for big egg or breeder flock, and that if I also wanted to do recurring quail for meat I'd need space for grow outs too.

I will admit part of it is cuisine curiosity. I want to taste the eggs and meat.
Okay, fine, that won't be hard to fulfill because there's a quail guy near me in Keiser. Five bucks per quail and five bucks for a dozen eggs seems pretty reasonable.

But would it get it out of my system?? I don't think it would... I want to raise them myself from chicks, keep pretty varieties, enjoy the daily routine of egg collecting and talking to my birds, reap the benefits of adding the manure to the compost...

I'm on the verge of biting the bullet.

Here's what I have going for me.
I have a big brooder.
I have a heat plate.
Waterers and feeders.
I have almost all the supplies to build a little hutch style cage for about ten hens and two roos. I even have most of the parts already cut from when I was going to start this project earlier this year.
I have the incubator, quail egg rails for the turner, and a place to run it.

All I really need is fertile eggs,
Feed,
Sand,
A couple pieces of lumber to put the rest of the hutch together,
and the time to put the hutch together.
I didn’t have hardly any extra funds when I started with my quail back in July. I asked around at some construction sites if I could have the scrap wood. Plus I scrounged up some pallets. My hutches aren’t the most beautiful, but they are practically free and reclaimed/upcycled.

Quail take up such little space! I’d start with a few chicks and build a hutch. Then when you’ve got funds for another batch, add some more. They eat so little. I made some waterers out of yogurt and protein powder containers and the waterer cups with the plungers in them- the cups were 2 for $10 at Tractor Supply. My bag of feed and pine shavings last me forever. I say do it. It’s so satisfying having my own farm fresh eggs— plus, every day is an Easter egg hunt, with the most beautiful eggs I’ve ever seen! I think everyone should have quail.

Attachments

• 45EBA470-ED97-48C5-85FC-0B6D0212A114.jpeg
    45EBA470-ED97-48C5-85FC-0B6D0212A114.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 2
Well I rehomed one of my dogs on a trial period, but it didn't work out with their other dog. So back to square one on that. He's a good dog and I'm sure someone will take him in. I know there are some dog lovers who couldn't imagine having less than two dogs and I respect that, but that just isn't me... Sorry.

I need to reduce the amount of responsibility in my life; my husband just enlisted into the National Guard and will be in training for several months. These dogs are half Bernese Mountain Dog and half Labradoodle, just turned one. Siblings. They're big. Young. Strong. I'm young enough, but not big or strong, and am a full time homeschooler. I can make time to train one dog.

Anyway this relates to this quail thread because our agreement was "Rehome Duke, build the quail housing, get the quail".
Keeping small quail in a little hutch will be a lot easier for me (and more familiar territory) than trying to keep two dogs in line.

Well this postponed the quail.
I just have to say I know where you’re coming from. We adopted 2 pittie mixes (siblings) from the shelter last year. We had to rehome one because it was just too much. Great dog, but he deserved better than I could give.

In the meantime, can you get some large plastic totes and keep the quail in your garage in the mean time? I brought my females inside to get them laying (they’re only 4 months old). They seem to do just fine in these totes.

Or what about some electric netting? Or some of the green wire fencing and some U posts?

They are doodles… surely you could rehome him pretty easily! They’re in such high demand!! ESP the berners…

Back
Top Bottom