A Question About Ducks - Broodiness?

Quote:
they decide when they want to brood, just like chickens, when mother-hood calls, they answer.

my little nutty blue swed, I think wants to try her hand at brooding, she's only about 8 1/2 months old, a year old in october.

she's alittle insane though...so who knows with her LOL

she'll go broody with just her own eggs, if she's serious about it, she'll go back to that spot(if she can get to it) every day to lay a new egg. and once she's decided she has enough eggs, she'll plop down and stay put LOL.

23229_carol_008.jpg

This is my khaki, i found her 4 days ago on her nest...This is the first time she has ever laid eggs, she isnt even a year old yet. i didnt see her but i sure heard her hissing at me, if she were a snake i would have been in big trouble.. what kind of sound did she make when you got close to her??? All ducks are Capable of going broody, put the eggs out there and see what she does...

The easiest way to get them to go broody is to leave their eggs alone. I have heard that many breeds are not broody, and all 3 of mine are supposed to be as such. So far, one of my rouens (only adult female I had at the time) has gone broody, my adult cayuga has, and one of my pekins has. Of course, with all 3 girls the stupid dogs found their nests, but at least they tried!! If I can ever catch the goofy birds, I'll lock them up. Maybe then they'll lay in an 'enclosure', so I can keep them safe.

Runners have little or no broodiness as far as I can see. I have 5 right now and they each lay an egg nearly every morning. Anywhere they want in the henhouse! Sometimes there's a bed of straw with an egg in it but as soon as I open that door - they're outta there!

Quote:
HAHA, my two runners never got that memo of how to NOT be broody!, thats ALL those two do, so much infact that I've had them about 4 months or more, and between them they've layed MAYBE 20 eggs O_O

they spent the rest of their time sitting nests that wern't even theirs, up til now they've both brooded half-arse, but now Stencil is patiently waiting for "her", used to be her sister Akai's-last ,mallard egg to hatch, it should hatch this week I'm hoping

I think Nettie's runners tried to go broody on her too
big_smile.png

I have a buff/khaki that is trying to hatch a softball, but I blame that on her buff side. Buffs will hatch out their eggs, and personality-wise, Uno is ALL mouthy, bossy, broody buff.

Back
Top Bottom