A question about incubators.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Xanatos, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Xanatos

Xanatos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Ok about to tackle my own first incubator - not really sure which design to go with, I plan to hatch dozens at a time, or at least a dozen.

One design I'm looking at is https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=10117

He
    includes a raised platform of hardware cloth, and also a fan. I am wondering, are either of these important/necessary? or is that just his personal preference.

I'm trying to spread the joy of owning chickens to folks and have made a lot of contacts on craigslist when i advertised free information on how to raise chickens, especially in today's times, a healthy and cost effective food choice is valueble.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
  3. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    and how does the rotating work?

4. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    *bump*

I still need to know how to simulate the rotating process or however that works so that the eggs hatch

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:You just hand rotate them twice a day.

Sorry If I was late on this message.The one that is the cooler looks that way too.

6. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    flip em upside down?

7. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    To rotate them the idea is to mark an X on one side and a O on the other so you know which side is up. You manually move from X to O You alternate at least 3 times a day roughly 8 hrs apart. Must always be an odd number.

8. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    To rotate them the idea is to mark an X on one side and a O on the other so you know which side is up. You manually move from X to O You alternate at least 3 times a day roughly 8 hrs apart. Must always be an odd number.

9. Doug the Chicken Man

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario

Here is my incubator.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=40058

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by