A Question for Boyd and the rest of you Foster Parents.

Quote:
OOOh, that's a good Ideal, I have a Hope Chest that sits at the base of our bed, I could have hubby put a lock on that.

Or I could just buy a lock fo the closet and one for the Alcohol cabinet, LOL.

Quote:
I had a small mini fridge (bought it for insulin a few years back) that stays in my room and locks, all meds are in there (some like penacillian must be kept cool), we also use it to chill wines and keep the kids outta my sodas.

Quote:
OOOh, that's a good Ideal, I have a Hope Chest that sits at the base of our bed, I could have hubby put a lock on that.

If the nursey door locks, swap that door knob for the closet one, and that's fixed.

Quote:

If the nursey door locks, swap that door knob for the closet one, and that's fixed.

It does, but it's not a key lock, it's the kind with the dial thingy, I can buy a lock, that's not a big deal. Also I will probably have to take the locking knob off the nursery door too, I wonder if they will allow the lock on the nursery door if it doesn't work, the bathroom door won't lock anymore, I could just swap them....

For the meds, I can just keep them in the small safe I have in my office.

An easy solution for me was that we placed all chemicals, cleaning supplies, bug spray, paint, medicine, knives, etc. in the utility room and placed a padlock on that door. Now, anything that I feel might be a danger goes straight to the utility room and the door locked. Shelves were built for easy organization of these items. Each child's medicine is placed in a large gallon-sized ziplock bag with their names on it, including their own tylenol, etc. and placed in utility boxes on the shelves.

And since I mentioned the meds, in Arkansas, ARKids (medicaid) pays for ibuprofen if the doc will give you a prescription for it. Any time I take a foster child to the doc when they are sick, I always ask that the doc give me a prescription. It saves me a little money and when the child leaves my home, I always make sure I send it with them. There are other items also that medicaid will pay for, including the stuff used to rid them of lice! When I first started foster care, I was buying the stuff and it got really expensive. I was elated to find out that medicaid would pay for it, IF you had a prescription. Most docs will give you one.
wink.png

In the ten years we were doing foster care, Medicare was fantastic. We learned the hard way that if a foster child is even a little sick it's to the doctor. The state will spare no expense to be sure that nothing happens to a child while in their custody.

I am a little confused.............Have you finished your classes? Why are you setting up to be inspected? Have you passed a homestudy?

You do realize orientaion is a class you attend to decide if you want to foster/adopt?

You do realize it will be 4-6 months to finish your classes?
You then get inspected.....
Then they will come out and do 2 homestudy interviews, you then wait for your license.

I am not trying to be mean but i think your jumping the gun. From what i read your just starting and your doing all this before you even take the required classes.

You might not even qualify, i hope you do but it happens! there is alot that goes with fostering, just setting up a room and getting the house ready is a small part!

Back
Top Bottom