A Question For Sellers Of 'Eggs For Hatching'.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Hi!
    I have a question for sellers / shippers of 'eggs for hatching'.
    Do you candle your 'eggs for hatching' to check for cracks / flaws in the shell / double yolks, etc.

Why do you candle prior to shipping or if you don't, why do you not?

Thanks,
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. RuffTuffCreampuff

RuffTuffCreampuff Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Texas
    Execellent question. I am just a buyer not a seller, but I have wonder this too. I have gotten eggs before with huge air cells......and I am kinda going....mmmmmmmm.

Thanks for asking.

Pam

3. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I typically do to make sure there are no cracks from being pushed around in the nest boxes and make sure things just generally look normal.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Absolutely. I wouldn't sell an egg for hatching without candling first. I look for cracks, thin spots, too much porosity, and abnormally thick areas, particularly in the "zip-zone". I also check for air cell placement, now that I figured out how to see it in a fresh egg.

5. Hi! That's great to hear --- *2 thumbs-up*.
    I always candle eggs before I send them out, but wondered if I was alone in that.

I rarely have to pull a flawed / funky egg, but it does happen.
    I think it would be a good practice.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Hey Lisa
    I don't think very many people do. I have seen all kind of bad eggs sent to me and you didn't have to candle them to see it. The biggest difference is your eggs hatched.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:Yes indeed. [​IMG]

I had an egg shipped to me that was so porous that you could see it even without candling.

I generally only incubate the very best eggs, so I don't know what I was thinking about, but I did put it in the incubator.

About a week later, I had these eggs on a turner and I had to take them out and put them into a carton, and this egg had leaked and was stuck to the turner, and of course, when I took it out, it broke and I had egg all over. It was a big egg, too.

It wasn't rotten but it was still messy. I should never have put it into the incubator.

Catherine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: