A question on mottling

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Georgia Boy 1970, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a rooster that is not mottled but one of his parents were,now if I bred this rooster to a mottled hen, what percentage of my chicks would be mottled?
    Thanks

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    At least 50% should be. You'll find that genetics are not as clearcut as some make it seem. There are varying degrees at which the mottling will show. On some it might be three or four feathers tipped in white; on others it will be such that you'll never know one or the parents was black.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sometimes mottling will show on juvenile feathers of birds with only one copy. There is a 50/50 chance for each bird from that breeding to be mottled.

4. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks
    I have a frizzle polish rooster that is 1/2 tolblunt 1/2 golden laced. I got him to go with my polish hens for a mixed color polish flock. I thought about putting him with a spangled/mottled game hen to see how many mottled chicks I get.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:X2. Yep I've had a few het. Mottled birds to carry light breast mottling for several months.

But of the cross in your question, you would get half carrying one copy and may show some mottling, and the other half will be pure mottled and should show it well and retain it permenantly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by