a quick questions

bhazell123

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Welsh La
ok soo my neighbor and i have some quail and well ive been getting just one egg a day i only have 5 quail and he has around 20 females and hasnt gotten one egg any ideas on why he issnt getting any eggs and why im only getting one and how often do they lay ?

hahaha well i think there coutrix and mine have been in the cage for a bout two weeks and his we seperated the mails from females because come to find out he had a LOT males lol so we put the females in a larger cage and were usin the only feed our feed store seems to have is just for game birds so ive been giving them a little layers feed in hope to get them layin .

o and moving there food bowls and water bowls around be considered a change and my cage has a like box on the end they seem to like but his has no box so i threw a stick with some leaves on it they seem to like so his would have some hiding spots and hopefully feel a little less jumpy and seems to help they dont dart when i feed them anymore so maybe more eggs ???

Quote:
LAYER FEED AS IN CHICKEN LAYER? IF SO THATS USUALLY AROUND 16% PROTIEN, WAY TOO MUCH FIBER, SALT, AND NOT ENOUGH OTHER ELEMENTS AND LOW PROTIEN... QUAIL DO BEST WITH A GAMEBIRD SPECIFIC RATION... NORMALLY THE HIGHER THE PROTIEN THE BETTER (ESPECIALLY TRUE WITH COTURNIX) MOST GAMEBIRD FEEDS START AT 19% FOR WINTER (NON BREEDING SEASON) MAINTENANCE AND THEN PROGRESS UP QUICKLY FROM THERE TO AROUND 24% FOR GENERAL FEED AND 30% FOR STARTER. A GREAT MANY BREEDERS KEEP COTURNIX ON 30% GBS OR GAMEBIRD STARTER FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIVES.

Quote:
LAYER FEED AS IN CHICKEN LAYER? IF SO THATS USUALLY AROUND 16% PROTIEN, WAY TOO MUCH FIBER, SALT, AND NOT ENOUGH OTHER ELEMENTS AND LOW PROTIEN... QUAIL DO BEST WITH A GAMEBIRD SPECIFIC RATION... NORMALLY THE HIGHER THE PROTIEN THE BETTER (ESPECIALLY TRUE WITH COTURNIX) MOST GAMEBIRD FEEDS START AT 19% FOR WINTER (NON BREEDING SEASON) MAINTENANCE AND THEN PROGRESS UP QUICKLY FROM THERE TO AROUND 24% FOR GENERAL FEED AND 30% FOR STARTER. A GREAT MANY BREEDERS KEEP COTURNIX ON 30% GBS OR GAMEBIRD STARTER FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIVES.

X2 I keep mine on 27% starter right now... I used to feed Purina, but I can get this for $4.00 cheaper.

so i should just stick with regular qauil feed because they dont seem to have any other feed except for gamebird feed or maybe next pay day i will check out the other feed store maybe they will be more help lol soo why are my neighbors not laying at all? lol i get atleast a egg a day since ive gotten them its been atleast 3 weeks and he hasnt gotten a one lol any suggestions maybe too hot ?? we reached 101 today phew soo hot . and they are all pretty mixed in age.

Back
Top Bottom