A really good blender??

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Ok, I’ve gone through 3 blenders this month! Not ruined them..just decided they aren’t doing the job for grinding eggshells in a timely manner. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to waste so much time grinding 3 eggs at a time! Most of our eggs we give away/ sell..but we grind what we eat to feed the shells back. I keep a container and when it’s full I grind. Maybe 20-25 egg shells. First blender had a grind button..which was great....and liquify, which was great because I was feeding a sick duck, Little Lou four times a day liquid food. But it was a plastic jug and the liquid came through the top..poor seal. Oyster. It was good though because the blades were kind of higher and the shells didn’t get compacted in the bottom. I’m using a tiny candy making spatula. Next one. I think Oster again...from the 1950’s. My aunt gave it to me. Not used in decades. No grind speed. Takes forever. Couple eggs at a time. I’m afraid the motor is going to burn up. Nice glass jug..but they are heavy. Has that low blade that gets the shells caught in the bottom. Last one this month. Another Oster. Gift from my sister for Christmas. Basically the same thing as the 1950’s model. No grind, but has a sturdy lid. Glass jug. Only a few eggs at a time. Low blades that get shells caught.

ok, so I know this is a silly post, but I figured you ladies might have a great blender out there...but I don’t want it to cost a fortune..since I only use it for the eggs.

Thanks for reading! :)

I'm happy with my kitchenaid blender. I'm not sure if they still make the same model, but it's similar to this one. Although this one looks to be plastic, mine is glass.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ucts/p.5-speed-classic-blender.ksb1570sl.html

Also consider it's not necessary to put the eggshells in the blender to feed them back to the flock. This would save you some wear and tear on your blender.

Was typing this and just saw @PirateGirl's post...have you considered forgoing the blending entirely and crushing the shells by hand? I collect our eggshells, let them dry, then squash them with a potato masher until they're small fragments (they vary in size, but poultry and waterfowl can eat them). I then put the crushed shell into a container for the girls to eat, free choice.
F54F69B0-C3B2-43CE-84DF-6867CB9390A2.jpeg

When I crush egg shells, I do by hand. I crush with my fingers after they sit for 24- 48 hours, depending on humidity. I don't wash, bake or microwave.
I'm not looking for a powder. 20180324_134657.jpg 20180324_133314.jpg . Just toss on ground. GC

I'm happy with my kitchenaid blender. I'm not sure if they still make the same model, but it's similar to this one. Although this one looks to be plastic, mine is glass.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ucts/p.5-speed-classic-blender.ksb1570sl.html

Also consider it's not necessary to put the eggshells in the blender to feed them back to the flock. This would save you some wear and tear on your blender.
I realize it’s not Necessary...but, I feel like it does them some good, and since it’s free.. I might as well.

Was typing this and just saw @PirateGirl's post...have you considered forgoing the blending entirely and crushing the shells by hand? I collect our eggshells, let them dry, then squash them with a potato masher until they're small fragments (they vary in size, but poultry and waterfowl can eat them). I then put the crushed shell into a container for the girls to eat, free choice.
View attachment 1987177
How do you let them dry without stinking up the kitchen?

I realize it’s not Necessary...but, I feel like it does them some good, and since it’s free.. I might as well.
The calcium need to be large source to be absorbed by chickens. The tinier you make it the less it benefits them.

Best blender and worth the cost... Vitamix!

ETA: sorry, it does cost a small fortune... at close to $300. it goes on coupon at Costco sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom