A really good blender??

Ok, I rinse them, then let them dry a bit on a paper towel...but when I put them in the container, they are always leaking the sticking egg whites and they stink inside that container. Do need to do more than just a rinse?
I never rinse mine. After I crack them and use them I set them in the container... making sure they aren't nestled together so there is plenty of air flow to dry them. It's almost like doing a fun little puzzle. :p

If they nestle together they will mold in about 2 days here. My whole family knows to make sure their egg shells stack with air spaces in the disposal container.

To me... rinsing, running through a processor, oven baking, etc... is spending more energy and consuming more resources and working AGAINST my goal of being more green and more self sustaining. :confused:

I haven't YET had ANY contamination type issues. And can't help but wonder of the little bit of albumin dried onto the shells even increases their nutritional value SLIGHTLY. Even if not, no wasted water or time on my part rinsing them. ;)

I never rinse mine. After I crack them and use them I set them in the container... making sure they aren't nestled together so there is plenty of air flow to dry them. It's almost like doing a fun little puzzle. :p

If they nestle together they will mold in about 2 days here. My whole family knows to make sure their egg shells stack with air spaces in the disposal container.

To me... rinsing, running through a processor, oven baking, etc... is spending more energy and consuming more resources and working AGAINST my goal of being more green and more self sustaining. :confused:

I haven't YET had ANY contamination type issues. And can't help but wonder of the little bit of albumin dried onto the shells even increases their nutritional value SLIGHTLY. Even if not, no wasted water or time on my part rinsing them. ;)
x2 here - no rinsing, no mold or spoilage. :highfive:

I use a food processor. Mine is really old. I do need to replace it but I have had it for around 25 years. It still works fine but the bowl cracked and no replacements bowls are available.

I rinse mine, stick my thumb into each half to make sure the little bit of white left in there is loosened enough to wash away. Doesn't take enough water to worry about in my situation. I dry them on a paper towel, broken side up till dry. About 24 hours. Then toss them into a used cottage cheese container. After doing tis for a few days, I crush them with a piece of dowel rod. I had bought a 1.5" wide dowel rod for smashing down cabbage when I make kraut. It was too long to be handy, so I kept what I cut off for things like this. It takes about 20 seconds to smash the dried shells into bits that are about a fourth inch in diameter.
The chickens like the egg shells more than oyster shells.
I tried microwaving shells once and it really stunk up my house. Never again.

Ok, I’ve gone through 3 blenders this month! Not ruined them..just decided they aren’t doing the job for grinding eggshells in a timely manner. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to waste so much time grinding 3 eggs at a time! Most of our eggs we give away/ sell..but we grind what we eat to feed the shells back. I keep a container and when it’s full I grind. Maybe 20-25 egg shells. First blender had a grind button..which was great....and liquify, which was great because I was feeding a sick duck, Little Lou four times a day liquid food. But it was a plastic jug and the liquid came through the top..poor seal. Oyster. It was good though because the blades were kind of higher and the shells didn’t get compacted in the bottom. I’m using a tiny candy making spatula. Next one. I think Oster again...from the 1950’s. My aunt gave it to me. Not used in decades. No grind speed. Takes forever. Couple eggs at a time. I’m afraid the motor is going to burn up. Nice glass jug..but they are heavy. Has that low blade that gets the shells caught in the bottom. Last one this month. Another Oster. Gift from my sister for Christmas. Basically the same thing as the 1950’s model. No grind, but has a sturdy lid. Glass jug. Only a few eggs at a time. Low blades that get shells caught.

ok, so I know this is a silly post, but I figured you ladies might have a great blender out there...but I don’t want it to cost a fortune..since I only use it for the eggs.

Thanks for reading! :)
A blender for eggs? Is it really difficult to find a blender for such a task? I just use a plain conventional blender for just about anything. I'm not really into specifics. I know any kind of blender should work just fine.

A blender for eggs? Is it really difficult to find a blender for such a task?

OP was using it to grind egg shells, not the insides of the eggs.
This started quite an interesting conversation about how various people prepare eggshells to feed back to the chickens, so by now it's no longer really about "what blender."

Back
Top Bottom