A Resource for Locating US Small Scale Processors

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
I read this part of the forum on a regular basis because I find the meat bird topics to be really fascinating (genetics, growth rates, feed conversion ratios, habits - the scope and depth of this subject is amazing), so I hope no one will mind if I add some info about poultry processing that others may find useful even though I'll never raise meat birds myself (I'm not squeamish, but we live in an urban area so it will be egg layers only for us.)

http://attra.ncat.org

This is for the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, and the "Livestock" section has a ton of valuable information about small scale processing (ducks and geese too) and also links to small scale processors nationwide.

Lots of good info on organic gardening as well. I have no affiliation with them, but thought it was really useful.

Phyllis
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I went to the list, but there are no small scale processors listed in my state. I've always just done my own, but if I could find a processor, I could raise birds for other people too.

It looks like a really interesting, informative site. Thanks again!

Once you click the link, look to the left and click 'livestock'

Then, click 'poultry'.

Finally, most of the way down the list of stuff, it says something like 'local processors' or 'small scale processors'.

Hope this helps!

Tried twice, now, and get the dreaded "page not found"!! Guess there aren't any in Texas..... which is my own finding, also....GGrrr:tongue

Nancy

Quote:
Hello,

In College Station there is one "Readfields", they are a butcher and will process just about anything you bring them. Their price (I think) is $3/chicken. There is another processor in Burton (west of Brenham) that might do chickens too. Look for a local butcher and ask real nice sometimes the don't advertise but will do if asked.

Hope this helps

Joshua

I tried to be a small scale processor last year but I am giving it up this year because I do not have the right equipment, I need a bigger plucker, scalder and a few other things but unfortunely I don't have the funds to get them , so bye bye to that idea. By the way last year I processed for 1.50 a bird plus a little more for the extras.

Thank you SO much, Joshua!! I know exactly where Readfields is, and Burton(the sausage company, right?) is only about 6 miles!!

I will check with them TODAY!!

Nancy

Thank you very much!
I was able to find processor for my birds not too far from me.
I was planning to do my birds myself but my husband said that he would be too traumatized. :eek:

Thank you for posting this! There is a processor about an hour from me! I think I might up my order if I dont have to do them myself!!!!

Back
Top Bottom