A River Runs Through It

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Casey3043, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, after four and a quarter inches of rain overnight, what I woke up to this morning on my low-lying property was flooded, washed out runs (my new sand is down the hill a ways), sloppy yards (water still standing 2 inches deep), muddy, bedraggled chickens (having a ball scarfing up all the beetle larvae and stuff which has fled the flooded ground), and damp feed (rain blew in under the roof).

The wind is blowing a gale, but nothing is drying out much. Sigh. I'm sure everyone else in the southeast had almost the same experience this morning. Nothing to do but wait.

But the hens all produced eggs as usual and clucked cheerfully around. A large pokeweed had blown down and they were enjoying the berries. (When I first saw their red beaks, I gasped, thinking someone was hurt and they were all eating her. But I counted heads and everyone was present and uninjured. Then I saw the pokeweed, and I had to laugh.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We have been getting it all day here as well. Not a good couple days to be a chicken or a chicken raiser. lol

Steve in NC

3. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Wow, you sure are cool about the mess. I'd be so upset and worried! Good luck getting everything cleaned up.

4. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    Soaking here too...and speaking of pokeberries, mine have been filling up like crazy on them. Purple poop everywhere!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by