A roo, I think...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GemKitten, Jun 3, 2012.

1. GemKitten

GemKitten Hatching

Jun 3, 2012
    Going to try to get a pic, but let me start with description until I can get one. I have a 10wk-old Barred Rock with a quite impressive red comb and some red wattles getting going. "He" is MUCH larger than the Black Copper Marans and Ameraucana who are only 5 days younger and just have little bits of a comb starting. I don't see any saddle or hackle feathers yet. I've handled them quite a bit, expecting them to join my laying flock, so "he" is fairly friendly - I'm not sure if this bird being the most willing to approach me is just that "he" is the tamest or that "he" has the self-confidence of a roo. This is the bird who rules the roost in the chick run, getting everyone together at night for their sleepy time feather pile. Am I likely right in suspecting "he" won't be laying any eggs?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If you can post pics, it would give us a better way to help. Barred Rocks can be sexed at hatch based on coloration so with a pic it shouldn't be that difficult to give you an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: