A sad subject.....

So here's my situation. I woke up today to find one of my beautiful, just started laying 7 month old leg horn stiff in the cage. Now I've been raising chickens for 18 years now and never had this problem. Chickens were always healthy unless they had crd, pox, coccidiosis, etc. all somewhat treatable. To get to the point., DONT GIVE YOUR CHICKENS ALCOHOL! I'm actually kinda mad because I came onto backyard chickens for advice and there was no info in fact they encouraged it. Someone said that chickens eat fermented berries all the time in the wild and it will be fine. It's toxic to them and I got the proof. I dissected it and found a blown liver. Look at the almost pearly green in it. I thought it was egg bound but was surprised to find no egg and a ruptured like tainted organ. Maybe there is some guidelines on amount or what kind but I wouldn't trust ever doing this again. P.S. I used vodka mixed with bread. She just dropped dead off the perch! Good thing my other chickens never ingest alot. I kinda was cautious but I figured I let one have a free for all. Lesson learned.

So here's my situation. I woke up today to find one of my beautiful, just started laying 7 month old leg horn stiff in the cage. Now I've been raising chickens for 18 years now and never had this problem. Chickens were always healthy unless they had crd, pox, coccidiosis, etc. all somewhat treatable. To get to the point., DONT GIVE YOUR CHICKENS ALCOHOL! I'm actually kinda mad because I came onto backyard chickens for advice and there was no info in fact they encouraged it. Someone said that chickens eat fermented berries all the time in the wild and it will be fine. It's toxic to them and I got the proof. I dissected it and found a blown liver. Look at the almost pearly green in it. I thought it was egg bound but was surprised to find no egg and a ruptured like tainted organ. Maybe there is some guidelines on amount or what kind but I wouldn't trust ever doing this again. P.S. I used vodka mixed with bread. She just dropped dead off the perch! Good thing my other chickens never ingest alot. I kinda was cautious but I figured I let one have a free for all. Lesson learned.
Why did you give your chickens alchohol? what were you trying to treat? I've never seen anyone recommend giving alcohol to a chicken unless you were euthanizing them, and then in great quantities so they pass out so you can euthanize them without them feeling pain. I'm sorry if someone told you to give your hen alcohol. I cannot imagine why anyone ever would, outside of the process of putting them down. Can you link to the thread where you saw this information? It should be taken down if they are recommending giving alcohol to a chicken. So sorry for the loss of your chicken.
sad.png

Here is a list of food chickens should and should not eat. Alcohol does not come up, but i'm sure it would be on the "don't" list for sure.

Last edited:
Why did you give your chickens alchohol? what were you trying to treat? I've never seen anyone recommend giving alcohol to a chicken unless you were euthanizing them, and then in great quantities so they pass out so you can euthanize them without them feeling pain. I'm sorry if someone told you to give your hen alcohol. I cannot imagine why anyone ever would, outside of the process of putting them down. Can you link to the thread where you saw this information? It should be taken down if they are recommending giving alcohol to a chicken. So sorry for the loss of your chicken.
sad.png

Here is a list of food chickens should and should not eat. Alcohol does not come up, but i'm sure it would be on the "don't" list for sure.

Yeah I don't think I have ever seen anybody recommend recreational alcohol for chickens. Sorry about the hen ChickenGuy88...not as sorry as she was
idunno.gif

I would have never given my chicken alcohol if she was healthy. Alcohol is actually toxic to a lot of animals. I gave it to mine with the intent to euthanize her. I knew once I gave it yo her there was no going back. I'm sorry to hear about your chicken though. When I was researching it, I couldn't find any info on it, but once again my intent was to use it as an aid in euthanization.

I'm wondering, too, why you would give your chicken alcohol. Was she sick? Could you please post a link to the thread to which you were referring? I have not seen any threads where the use of alcohol on either a healthy chicken or to treat something was suggested.

I would not give my chickens alcohol as a treat. I occasionally share a glass of wine with my Jersey Giants. But the vodka is to render them unconscious or "dead" drunk so I can use an ax without the chicken ever knowing. I had tried valium about 6 years ago, and gave a rooster 10 (the dog's) and the darn rooster crowed the next moring!

(share a glass of wine with them is exaggerating, LOL)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom