A sick chicken

JudithND

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Indiana
I have a chicken that seems to be feeling sickly. She has poop on her rear fluff but her vent appears to be clear. She wasnt too happy to have me looking at her rear. This morning she was still on the roost with her tail feathers down and she was all fluffed up. Her head was hanging low. What could be wrong with her.

My rooster is in the same condition.
Have you checked for mites?

If you dont get any replies, look for my post "Sick Rooster. Please Help."
Maybe someone will answer my post first.
I'll be checking yours for suggestion too.

Good luck.
Dave

I am sorry to hear that. We had our lovely Red Star Lily die last wednesday. she simply would not stay awake and she never woke up.
hit.gif

She is 1 1/2 years old and is an Araucana. We live in northern Indiana. The chickens are in a chicken house with a nice run that is fenced in. I dont know what her droppings look like. I will need to watch her drop some poop so that I can look at it. But all of them are dropping some runny to normal poop. Its been a VERY hot summer and we had a 104 heat index just this last Saturday and all of a sudden it has turned cold with lows in the mid to upper 50's and daytime highs in the upper 60's to low 70's. They may still be stressed from the heat. I dont know if she is laying. Im at work all day and cannot check. She remained on the perch this morning with her head hunched and feathers fluffed. From the list of questions that site asks this is all that I can answer right now. I hope its enough.

Hi Dave, She is still listless and all puffed up. Now her bottom is bare. Im quite certain that the others had picked her down feathers off. But I picked her up and turned her over to get a good look and I did not see any mites. But while I had her upside down clear liquid came pouring out of her mouth. She just stands there. When I gave them all a treat she did not go for it. I watched her for a while and noticed that she seemed to be trying to push something out. Her bum was moving in and out a bit. This morning she was outside with the others and was interested in their morning treat until I touched her. She squawks if I try to pick her up. Then I saw her poop. It is clear and runny. Is she egg bound?

Judith,
I wish I could help. You should read through the other posts.
I have read a couple over the last 24 hours on both discharges from the mouth and about hens that are egg-bound.
Some of the info is already out there.
Maybe someone that has answered this type of ailment in the past could post a link.
Good luck!
Dave

Back
Top Bottom