A sick hen? What do?

If you have photos of what she looks like that would be good too.

She sure is congested sounding. Any lesions inside the beak?

What has the vet diagnosed this as being?
I’ll upload some photos in a minute. How do I check for lesions inside her beak? She hasn’t seen the vet in a couple months. The last time she had this when we took her the vet didn’t tell me exactly what was wrong. All she said was “this is a very early infection. Here give her this medicine” so I did just that. Finished her medication. All went fine for a few months then she started again. It’s off and on now. She will be gurgling for a couple days. Then stop for weeks. Then gurgle again out of nowhere then stop again. I tried contacting the vet again but they said if it isn’t consistent for at least 5 days then they wouldn’t be able to test her for anything. So I genuinely don’t know how to treat it.

Best way to look inside the beak is to pull down on the wattles. This article shows you what the inside of a healthy beak looks like. If you see yellow or white pasty material or if there's a bad odor, let us know and try to take some photos if possible. Having someone help you with her would be good too - more hands:)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
We managed to check her beak and it looks normal. I was monitoring her today and for a while she was almost completely fine. Sneezed a couple of times in the day but did everything completely normal. She ate, drank, clucked, laid an egg, hell she even took a dust bath. It is now 9:30pm and she just started the gurgling again. It seems to only happen at night?

At night, the crop is usually at its fullest. A very full crop can back up into the esophagus, causing gurgling, especially when a chicken gets into the roosting position, putting pressure on the crop. This hen may have nothing more wrong going on than being a little pig.

At night, the crop is usually at its fullest. A very full crop can back up into the esophagus, causing gurgling, especially when a chicken gets into the roosting position, putting pressure on the crop. This hen may have nothing more wrong going on than being a little pig.
Agreed.
It may be worth seeing how full that crop is at night just to gauge how full it is.

Agreed.
It may be worth seeing how full that crop is at night just to gauge how full it is.
Her crop is usually really full at night before bed. But it’s empty I think by morning. It goes from being pretty noticeable and kinda hard to not there unless I really feel around for it. It’s currently 4am and she has had trouble sleeping all night. She wakes up and pants and gets up to move before closing her eyes and her head starts falling back. I’m trying not to panic myself and I’ve been saying the head tilting is probably just because she is exhausted. But she is also still really gurgly when she breathes

Best way to look inside the beak is to pull down on the wattles. This article shows you what the inside of a healthy beak looks like. If you see yellow or white pasty material or if there's a bad odor, let us know and try to take some photos if possible. Having someone help you with her would be good too - more hands:)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I also managed to get a good look in her mouth again tonight while she was panting. I don’t see any cuts or anything unusual like that. But I did notice a string of what I can’t tell is either mucus or saliva? Idk how to tell what it is. It connects from her tongue to the roof of her mouth but it’s only in like a little V like shape. It’s completely clear too.

How does her abdomen below the vent between her legs feel? Is there any bloat or fluid?
I don’t quite know what it’s supposed to feel like or what to compare it to. I hold her quite often and I havnt noticed her abdomen being particularly swollen or feel like it’s got fluid. Sorry I am trying to answer the best I can. I’m just still really new to doing physical examinations on my birds.

Back
Top Bottom