A silly question about mule ducks

Pics
@Luv Ducks , the washing with warm water method is actually the most recommended one. I think I found a single comment on this site during my obsessive research stage after the first one that suggested the toothbrush. It's the only time I've seen a reference to it. In fact, I just pulled out my hatching and brooding your own chicks book, (Gail Damerow), and confirmed. The book doesn't address *why* sticky (crunchy) chicks are potentially an issue, but does say the following reasons are the cause: eggs stored too long, larger than normal for breed, temp too low during incubation, humidity too low during incubation or hatch, or inadequate ventilation during hatch. It also includes a side bar on panting hatchling, in reference to the importance of adequate ventilation, and not just a too hot issue.

Edit: from what I've gathered, and experienced, crunchy chicks obviously reduce the cute factor that comes with proper fluff, but also makes it significantly harder for the chick to stay warm (see crunchy chick from batch of 4) and can in some cases hinder or even prevent some mobility, like the wings.

Also, somewhere on here is a super handy thread with differences between shrinkwrapping, sticky chick and what I'm referring to as crunchy chick

Edit number 2: here's the link I mentioned. And I remembered to bookmark it this time!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/shrink-wrap-vs-sticky-chick.491421/
Thanks so much for the info. I guess where I saw at one point not to let them get wet because they have no water proofing and will chill I assumed that meant also washing them off. I am glad to see that what I did was okay and my Mule Duckling was bigger as it had a Muscovy Drake and a Rouen Hen that it came from. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the info. I guess where I saw at one point not to let them get wet because they have no water proofing and will chill I assumed that meant also washing them off. I am glad to see that what I did was okay and my Mule Duckling was bigger as it had a Muscovy Drake and a Rouen Hen that it came from. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Absolutely! I think it's kind of like the lockdown recommendations, and there to prevent people from fussing with it too much and doing more harm than good. I think with chicks the most danger comes from them remaining chilled too long from the bath, or bacteria entering an unhealed navel, or stressing the chick unnecessarily, like if they get a bit of dirt or poo on feathers that don't interfere with elimination or movement. As a society, we are pretty obsessed with super clean, especially in the form of disinfecting and ALL THE SOAP AND WATER, without taking the time to understand that nuance exists.

That book isn't my most favoritest as a source of information, but I do like that recommendations and explanations are pretty clear cut, vs the wildly contradictory info found from online searches. If you're able, definitely check it out though, I've found it a great jumping off point several times.

Baby update: we are definitely capable of complaining, as we discovered st 1am. I did get some water with nutridrench in him last night. We're still scooting around, though he is very fast at it. This morning, I gave him some more nutri-water, then let him sample some flock raiser mash. When I held the plain water for him to get a drink, he dunked his head like he wanted a drink, then jumped right in!

Attachments

• 20230529_070826.jpg
    20230529_070826.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230529_075629.jpg
    20230529_075629.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 2
Probably my last update on this thread. Ducky is doing great. Finally interested in getting his feet under him, and ran full speed, bill first into the side of his brooder. Taking the occasional nibble at the food sprinkles, and able to stand up enough to get a drink from the only dish he can't seem to climb into for a swim, and still drink from.

Well, as I typed that, heard a new noise and he's in the dish... so, on to making a duck drinker from the many instructions I've found here.

He's a fantastic little duck, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as he grows.

Maybe this will just be the thread of my ducks.

These guys are hilarious. Woke up to them crying this morning, and since I'd left the heat lamp off last night, thought maybe they were looking for mama heat lamp. Kind of moved under it, but still crying.

Ok, well, it's about time to get outside for the day, a few hours later than normal. Pop everybody in the duckit bucket, and take them outside to the recently vacated grow out pen. (May peeps are *VERY* upset about their eviction.) Instant zoomies and playing. They wanted to get outside.

Back
Top Bottom