A single pair senario-

OH ,ok I guess I misunderstood, In that case I would definetly add an extra hen to the breeder cage, but only if she was of good quality to produce future hens.

Veggie, funny you should say that, because I have 1 hen and 1 roo in a cage.  And I want baked quail and quail parmesan!!!  Here's how I dealt with it... I called JMF and ordered eggs.  My intent is to keep the 4 of the largest hens with the largest of male to get eggs that I will incubate.  I will also keep 4 or 5 other hens for egg production.
The hen and roo have been in the same cage for about 10 days now.  This Sunday after church, I will bust open the 7 eggs that I will have collected to make an omlette for myself and my wife.  Before I scramble the eggs, I will carefully inspect the eggs for signs of fertility.  Any chicks hatched from this couple will be used only for food, and will not be permitted to intermingle with the chicks I get from JMF. 

james have you only used them for eggs, or will you cull. My 1st hatch had a male and female. They are 9 wks now. I have added Texas A&Ms 4 that are 5 wks now....thought was for eggs and meat...but since they are all named hard to think of culling

...but since they are all named hard to think of culling...
At my house, I only have 2 named quail... Chickey and Squeekers. They are both males, serving life sentences, and are property of my 2 kids. I will not allow any other quail to be named. All other males will be executed by lethal force, properly cleaned and frozen until they are on the menu.

Last edited:
At my house, I only have 2 named quail... Chickey and Squeekers.  They are both males, serving life sentences, and are property of my 2 kids.  I will not allow any other quail to be named.  All other males will be executed by lethal force, properly cleaned and frozen until they are on the menu.

I don't know that I could do the deed. It was my intention to do so...but its hard now. I have 6 that I talk to every day. I'd need to start over and try not to get attached.

I don't know that I could do the deed. It was my intention to do so...but its hard now. I have 6 that I talk to every day. I'd need to start over and try not to get attached.
I named my rabbits, bad mistake, kept ones that were lazy bums. This time with the quails there is no names. And they are tasty enough it's not so difficult. Take care of them over the kitchen sink. Besides that the males crow will drive you to it.

Back
Top Bottom