A site that you can order just a few chicks instead of the standard minimum of fifteen in the spring

trixiecheeto

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I just want a few Easter Eggers in the spring. I don't want to be overwhelmed with a lot of chicks. Also, does anybody know of a trick to keep chickens laying in the winter? Mine are on laying feed, whole corn, oats, and oyster shells and their egg production has severely declined. Any help would be greatly appreciate on both subjects. Thanks so much!

Ideal Poultry has no minimum from what I remember or My Pet Chicken. The trick to keeping them laying is to have light on them - a lite bulb - 14 hours a day

welcome-byc.gif

If you can't find a hatchery that will sell a small minimum, you might try going in on an order with a friend. Also, once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC and maybe pick up a few that way:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Molting and shorter daylight hours are pretty common reasons for a drop in egg production during the winter months. The days are getting longer now so you could well see an increase soon. Here's a good post on why chickens don't lay:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

Put "hatchery with no minimum" in the search bar at the top of the page and you'll get all kinds of info.

Declining day length tells all animals not to reproduce. Increasing day length is a signal to reproduce.
Chickens will also molt their second and each subsequent autumn. (sometimes the first) They won't lay at all during that time. Some will resume laying after they recover from growing feathers and rejuvenating their reproductive tract. Others will wait till after the winter solstice, like now. You can start increasing light after they grow new feathers to jump start that but they still need a break.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Another possible solution is to order the minimum hatchery order of all pullets. Since you will have the order form showing that your order is all pullets, you shouldn't have any trouble selling off the extra chicks and recouping your money. Also, if you want a cockerel, since most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexed orders, you will likely get a cockerel or two in the order anyway. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi there and welcome!!

I get my chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. After March 31st, the minimum is only three. I've had great luck with them (although I've never had chicks shipped... I pick them up).

Re: egg-laying in the winter... extra light is known to work. Although, I feel the girls deserve their winter break from daily laying. They work so hard for us most of the year... I'm ok with them 'slacking off' for a few months. :)

Keep us posted on what you end up with!

also you might want to see if there is a local tractor supply or farm supply store. you can buy chicks local without shipping cost though breed choices may be slim. if nothing else watch your local cragslist and facebook trading groups after easter. i always seem to end up adopting unwanted easter chicks......(censored)

Back
Top Bottom