A slight change in egg weight?

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
Am I suppose to be feeling a change in the weight of the eggs so early into the incubation? I put my eggs in the bator on the evening of the 7th, and when I went to turn them last night before bed a couple of them felt just a wee bit heavier. Is this a good thing? I haven't candled them yet. This is my first time using an incubator and I don't know what the signs are for when I have eggs doing well, and ones that already died. I know we already lost one egg cause it must have been leaking, and when I went to turn it an entire piece of shell came off and the yolk began pouring out. Was very upsetting, but it was very early on. The other 9 are still ok as far as shell integrity. And I read in another thread something about stopping turning the eggs. When am I suppose to do that? My babies, if they are actually doing well, are suppose to hatch the 27th. It feels like it will be a LONG time from now until then. I just wanted to know about the weight change. Thanks everyone!

Eggs can not become heavier during incubation, in fact they lose a little weight due to evaporation. That is perfectly normal and necessary in order to hatch.
Stop turning at day 18.

Jim

Thank you for letting me know when to stop turning. I'm making a notation on the calendar in just a moment...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom