A snake bit me yesterday!

Keep a real close eye if it broke skin, some people don't treat non venomous snake bite and end up with hospital visits for infection, its not like they brush their teeth after that last rat snack...

was it a racer or black rat?

Quote:
Thank you! We live in the country, and our house is surrounded by a wooded area.....but in 10 years, I'venever seen a snake that big! Of course I HAD to step on it! LOL Wow, amazing that the snake you hacked 6 inches off still survived!

Quote:
I am truly not sure. Dave just said it wasn't poisonous. It was blackish/grey. This happened Wednesday, and lucky for me, the fangs just scraped me a tiny bit. I washed it right away, put peroxide on it, and it looks fine. No redness or itchiness.......

Thank you for your concern! I appreciate that so much!

Quote:
I am truly not sure. Dave just said it wasn't poisonous. It was blackish/grey. This happened Wednesday, and lucky for me, the fangs just scraped me a tiny bit. I washed it right away, put peroxide on it, and it looks fine. No redness or itchiness.......

Thank you for your concern! I appreciate that so much!

Ok, keep an eye out- and be safe.

smile.png

(rat snake http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/elaobs.htm )

(eastern indigo (protected) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_indigo_snake also not grey)

One of the best things I'ver ever done is got to the state's (in this case, SC) DNR website and look up the pics of snakes in our area. Creepy as it was, I learned to identify them on sight. Saved me many a heart attack, since we regularly have yellow rat snakes over 6' long, copperheads and canebrake rattlers here at home. The venomous snakes get a 1 way ticket to snake heaven. The nonvenomous who get too greedy for eggs get a ride to a wildlife preserve. We don't get rid of them all though, because they are very good at rodent patrol! They even eat the flying roaches the size of skateboards we have here in the woods!

I am eternally grateful for that. I'd rather have a snake than a huge, flying roach.

I did get a bite last year. It was weird, I never even realized it until I was taking off my shoes and my sock area on my ankle had to bloody holes in it, about an inch apart! I am much more careful about watching where I put my feet now.

Quote:
Yeah, cause we all have a few of those lying around in the freezer! lol.
lol.png

Well, some of us do
gig.gif

Just lately I thought my mum was going to murder me for the rat in the freezer, gave her a heart attack
hide.gif

Saw a glass lizard in the garden today. Thats another one to give heart flutters to if dug up unexpectedly!

I used to work for an airport taxi service and when I got to one customers address I could see her luggage through the glass front door as she had the light on (still dark early am) so I go to the door and knock to see if she wanted me to put it in the van. She opened the door and looked down and said "whats that?" It was a snake all curled up on her doorstep. "Oh I said..It's a snake..can you get me a broom?" She was screeching and backing up fast
lol.png
Broom in hand I put it beween the snake and the door so it wouldnt get in her house and the thing starts striking the broom. "Not a very nice snake either" I mumbled. So I hauled back and "golfed" that thing way out into the front yard calling out FOUR!
gig.gif
Lady was very impressed and gave me a $20 tip for a $20 ride ..being a regular customer she told every other driver about that Australian lady that dispatched the snake from her front door
lol.png
BTW it was a pigmy rattler.
I had to get rid of one before as it was trapped on my screened porch..that one got it's head removed with a shovel.

Seperate Question..my new coop has hardware cloth all over it except at the very top above the door and "eaves" where I was just going to use chicken wire. Should I use more cloth up there? Can a snake get through or climb up 6 ft of harware cloth?

Quote:
Black snakes for certain climb very well. You always have to watch up in the rafters in old barns.

Have also heard of water snakes in trees falling into boats.

Out here on the flat-land prairie, all I ever see is a litle garter snake. Thank goodness for that. My grandpa always kept a big black snake under his outhouse and in the crawl space of his home for rodent control. My chickens are currently living in luxury digs, the second story room of a summer kitchen/root cellar structure. It's brick and I don't know that a snake could get in there. The chickens learned very early how to navigate the stairs, both ways, which is fairly steep. It's a large area for 10 chickens and very easy to keep clean. If I ever STEPPED on a snake, you'd have to bury me.

Back
Top Bottom