A snake in the coop!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cukooformarans, May 13, 2011.

1. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    We have 6 cuckoo marans hens, from whom we normally get 5 eggs a day. (One of the 6 is setting.) The past week or so I've noticed that we've only gotten 2-3 eggs but thought maybe they were just taking a break so to speak. I walked out 10 minutes ago and there is a BIG snake in the coop. DH is not here to take care of it!!! What do I do???? I can't catch it with my bare hands!! But we have a setting duck AND a setting hen in there. Is he going to hurt them or eat their eggs before DH gets home to dispose of him?????[​IMG] I don't know what to do!!

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Try calling animal control? Or do you have a male neighbor that might be willing to do the job?

3. RoosterMania

RoosterMania Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Blackshear
    Cowgirl up! [​IMG]

No, seriously. What's it look like? If it is non-venomous, you could run it out of there with a broom, hoe, shovel, etc. If it is venomous, you should let it be until someone with experience with venomous reptiles can remove it. Chickens can be replaced, you cannot!

4. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Do you have any older male neighbors you could go get to help??

If you know its not poisonous I would take a tubberware tub with a lid and broom stick and remove it myself.. Good luck!!

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I want it! [​IMG] I likes snakes

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

ID the snake ...

some are very protected...

some large snakes are venomous...

7. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] lol to each thier own tho!

i am such a wuss with snakes and spiders, but if you could bring yourself to do so, get a shovel and cut that baby in half! ugh i shudder just typing this. but really, i had one in my barn and a hen setting and he was on his way to her, i called my neighbor over but when he got here the snake was gone. luckily he did not get any of her eggs, and i ended up moving her into a cage he wouldnt be able to get thru. honestly, i wouldnt wait until your DH gets home, if hes eaten eggs from the other hens you better get him out of there because he WILL take the ones from under your hen, if he hasnt already. and if you just chase him out, he will be back.

good luck!

8. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Sigh ... DH made it home way earlier than scheduled thanks to my frantic phone call... lol. I don't know if the snake got the eggs from under the duck or chicken but I hope not! The muscovy is 2 weeks into a 5 week long ordeal and I hate for her to lose all of that effort. The hen has only been on for less than a week but it doesn't seem to have scared her off. After all of the excitement I figure it's better to give them some time before I try to check. The duck comes off her nest once every other day or so for a couple hours so I may wait until then to look. DH says it was a chicken snake, guess I need to brush up on snake types. It was 53" long. Ughhh. Well thank goodness he was able to come get rid of it! Thanks, everybody, for the support. Teach97, if only you were closer you would be welcome to any snake that appeared in our coop! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Rat snakes are also called chicken snakes in some places?

Chicken snake may refer to:

Elaphe alleghaniensis, a.k.a. the eastern rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America
    Elaphe guttata, a.k.a. the corn snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America
    Elaphe obsoleta, a.k.a. the black rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America
    Elaphe spiloides, a.k.a. the gray rat snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America
    Pituophis m. melanoleucus, a.k.a. the northern pine snake, a harmless colubrid found in North America

10. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    Round here the rat snakes are called chicken snakes. We don't get real picky...........In the yard within 200 yds of the chickens they are called dead snakes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by