A snake in the coop!!!!

I don't mind snakes. They eat all kinds of other things that I don't want around. I just leave them alone and let them do their snakey stuff.

A snake in the chicken coop is a different matter.
somad.gif

I was down at my sister's place a couple weeks ago. We found a large black snake in the woodwork above the door to her coop. I grabbed it with my hand and flung the thing out into the grass. She grabbed a shovel and decapitated it.

Her husband, who is a phobic about snakes was not happy that she even called him to come out to help. I don't know why she did. We had it taken care of. I think she just wanted to tease him a bit.
tongue2.gif

Snakes don't last long in my coop, I caught my Salmon Fav. girl killing one and then Uno (Speckled Sussex) ate it. They are just the little ft long garner snakes though. LOL I do get snakes in my coop often and just go in pick them up and throw them over to the train tracks across the road. But again these are just regular run of the mill , gardner snakes nothing poisonous so be careful and make sure you know what your dealing with.

I do need to brush up on snake types. I wish as I was as brave as you Stormlady and Ivywoods! Catsmithpuddin, I agree with you completely. DH put the dead snake in the road for a warning to other snakes. Doubt it will do any good, but good try.
FireTigeris,
It was black with some kind of a light brown pattern, but I wouldn't say it was harmless because it ate two of my muscovy eggs!!!!
hit.gif
Oh well, praise the Lord we found it when we did, BEFORE it ate the other 9!
smile.png

Boo- I had a pine snake do that-

Would have moved it but after knocking away from me (with a shovel in surprise) it came at me again so it was heads-off.

It had three lumps, two eggs and my week-old chick...

...then I found where it came in and fixed it.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/pitmel.htm

harmless (to humans), a cut and paste from wiki's 'chicken snake' was too lazy to put it in a quote box.

Last edited:
Quote:
aaarrrgghh, that would be the end of my chicken raising experience, to have a snake up in the rafters to fall on me.... nope. done. come and get em, I'd never go in there again, luckily, where I live we don't have very many snakes, I've only seen about 10 garter snakes in 18 years, but still.....

Back
Top Bottom