A soft shelled egg???

Tgallaher1

Chirping
Jul 11, 2016
Menifee, California
So my Olive Egger has been laying for about 2/3 weeks and overnight, from the perch layed a soft shelled egg. She was in a nesting box for a while yesterday, but no egg resulted. Then this morning I went out to give the girls some steel cut oats and apples, and found the egg below the perch inside the hen house. I feed their shells back to them after I bake them, and they are on Organic, non gmo layer crumbles that I throw a bit of oyster into.....any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

Sometimes this happens with new layers. Make sure you are providing free-choice shells, or oyster shell. I would take your hens off the layer feed- feeding lay-feed to non-laying birds can cause liver failure, delayed development, or calcium overdose (this includes non-laying hens, roosters, and chickens below laying age). Switch them to an 18-22% all flock or maintenance feed.

When they first start laying it is completely normal to get a soft shelled egg every now and then. They are still getting their systems working. If it happens on a regular basis she needs more calcium. Giving them crushed up egg shells like you are doing is a good idea. You can also offer them oyster shells on the side so they can take what they need. You can purchase them at any feed store. I believe a 50lb bag cost about 10 to 15 dollars.

Sometimes this happens with new layers. Make sure you are providing free-choice shells, or oyster shell. I would take your hens off the layer feed- feeding lay-feed to non-laying birds can cause liver failure, delayed development, or calcium overdose (this includes non-laying hens, roosters, and chickens below laying age). Switch them to an 18-22% all flock or maintenance feed.
All of my hens are laying, so they need to be on layer feed.

When they first start laying it is completely normal to get a soft shelled egg every now and then. They are still getting their systems working. If it happens on a regular basis she needs more calcium. Giving them crushed up egg shells like you are doing is a good idea. You can also offer them oyster shells on the side so they can take what they need. You can purchase them at any feed store. I believe a 50lb bag cost about 10 to 15 dollars.
I have a 50 lb bag, ive just been throwing it in with their crumble.

Back
Top Bottom