A squat or a duck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prisserbabe, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Hi all,
    I have noticed a few of my chickens, the ones with more red faces than the rest, are doing this squat/duck thingy.
    I dont know if this is just them ducking and trying to get away from my hand or if it is a sqaut and I should be expecting eggs soon [​IMG]
    P.S,
    If a pic is needed just say so [​IMG]

2. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If they wanted to get away wouldn't they move? I would guess they are squating.

3. sallihennipenni

sallihennipenni Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    How old are your hens? A few of my hens began laying about a week ago. The first one to lay had been doing the squat thing for a week or two before she laid her first egg at 19 weeks old. I'm guessing what you're seeing is a squat and they'll be laying soon! [​IMG] They sort of crouch down low to the ground with their backs flat and their wing joints above their back. Does this sound like what you're seeing?

4. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:i think they are around 3 or 4 months (15 weeks about)
    and they do crouch down low to the ground and their backs are somewhat flat but their wings dont move. would a picture help?

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That is a submitting pose. They do that for a roo, if no roo they you are the top bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by