a strange thing happened today

Dori47

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
we have a small backyard flock of 2 australian spotted ducks, 2 australian spotted drakes, 1 indian runner duck and 1 new baby indian runner drake( 9 weeks old) the australian spotted ducks are very broody and both have been sitting on nests for almost 2 weeks. The Indian runner gets broody too, but she lays her egg in the duck house before i let them out for the day, the australian spotteds stay in the yard while they are broody ( the way they got the nests is they were so well hidden we couldn't find eggs for a few days, and voila, they are sitting on a nest. )
Anyway for the strange things, the indian runner duck, races up the yard this morning after getting out of the house, the australian spotted gets off her nest and goes walk about and the Indian runner sits on her nest.
I will check later if i can if there is an Indian runner egg in there or not . Just wanted to share.
we sold some eggs for hatching earlier this year. Heard from the one person that 4 were actually fertilized and 1 hatched out of the dozen we gave her. We usually get about a 50 % hatch. I wonder if we sold the wrong drakes earlier this year.

Carole Ann

Wherever there are eggs, the other girls think this is a good place to lay. They often share a favorite nest box or spot, and if a broody leaves a nest it's not unusual for another hen to deposit a new egg in that nest.

First time I have seen it, they have always had separate places, and the same ones each year. they added two new ones this year ( hence why we couldn't find them)

Back
Top Bottom